RE: ABS/Cruise Control problem. Might have a fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RE: ABS/Cruise Control problem. Might have a fix

CaptainObvious

Reaction score
City, State
Central, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
So I got pissed off over the weekend with the cruise dying and ABS Light coming on. Went into the Ford Dealer after dealing with this for months and very politely said, "It's on again, Cruise is acting up, here are the keys I don't want it back untill it's fixed." Later that afternoon dealer calls and tells me he thinks he's got it.
Apparently there's a backup switch on the master cylinder for the brake lights. The light was on again and they jumpered the switch and it went off. Parts are ordered and they will be in tommorrow. I'll get more details tommorrow. Wife took the Expo to work today due to a crapload of snow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even though Capt. Oblivious posted this 2 years ago, I just found it now. What were the parts that needed to be replaced?

MyABS light only comes on at start up and after an unusual braking event and eventually goes out. But the Cruise control just plain stopped working some time ago. The light doesn't even come on.

Its a screw in switch mounted on the top of the brake master cylinder--only costs about $25 at the dealer--it's an easy do it yourself job.

Guess i didn't realize this might be 2 different issues. The issue that's the problem now is the cruise control not coming on. Is that the fix for the cruise control?

It was the fix for my 03....cruise will not work if that switch is defective

Explorer - Cruise Control Will Not Engage - Flashes on and off

PROBLEM - Cruise control will not engage on a 2003 Explorer Sports Trac. It simply just flashes green and shuts right off.
SOLUTION - Buy Ford Part number 3L3Z*9F924*AB which is $19.93. This is a switch that sits on top of the Master Cylinder and I replaced it in around 2 minutes and the cruise control worked properly. Only tool required was an adjustable wrench.

Thanks to all who led me to this relatively easy fix. I put the part number in there to make it easier for others.

Does this part number also apply to a 96 explorer xlt?

that switch on the master cylinder was the fix for my cruise control problem of not engaging. The cruise control light would come on then immediately off when trying to engage it. Now it is perfect.

Even though Capt. Oblivious posted this 2 years ago, I just found it now. What were the parts that needed to be replaced?

MyABS light only comes on at start up and after an unusual braking event and eventually goes out. But the Cruise control just plain stopped working some time ago. The light doesn't even come on.

My cruise would not work while that sensor on the master cylinder was bad.
My abs light would come on sometimes too.

I replaced it, for my 04 4.6 it was p/n is 3L3Z9F924AB
description - switch asy
retail - $22.99

just a couple of minutes to replace it, no special tools - the dealer
will charge you an hour.

i had the same problems. change the switch on the master and bye bye problems. $34 to for what a rip off NH might not have sale tax but stuff is getting a bit pricey out here

isn't this the same combination switch that was causing all the (initially) random fires that ford wound up having to recall?

Shawn

PS -where did CPT Obvious go? I dont recall him posting in some time.

Hello Everyone, thanks for the hard work and the valuable info.

Any opinions/confirmation?

This sounds like it could fix my problem. Over the years the cruise control would fail to come on once or twice and then begin working again without additional problems. However, yesterday it would flash green and then go off. Then after a few more miles and minutes it would work correctly. Once it started to work right again everything was okay and I could use resume and speed up or down. Then the next time I shut the engine off I would have the same problem again.

Also my ABS light came on last week but went off after shutting down and hasn't come on again.

Any opinions/confirmation?

This sounds like it could fix my problem. Over the years the cruise control would fail to come on once or twice and then begin working again without additional problems. However, yesterday it would flash green and then go off. Then after a few more miles and minutes it would work correctly. Once it started to work right again everything was okay and I could use resume and speed up or down. Then the next time I shut the engine off I would have the same problem again.

Also my ABS light came on last week but went off after shutting down and hasn't come on again.

I had similar symptoms so Id guess its the same sensor on the master cylinder
Plus its the cheapest sensor to try... about $20... and simple to install yourself...
Unscrew the old one...screw in the new one.
some brake fluid will start to ooooz out so put the new one in quickly
Just use rags so you dont get brake fluid on anything

new sensor fixed mine.

Cruise Control & ABS

Thanks everyone for the valuable information.
I fixed the cruise control but the ABS light didn't go by fixing the cruise control problem (both problems being related), so I just has to reset the ABS lightand it never showed again.

Thanks again for the support,

Hmm, interesting information here. I just bought a used 2004 Explorer XLS Sport with 63k miles.

After driving it about 350 miles, the ABS light started to come on, usually as the result of aggressive acceleration. I very rarely, if ever use cruise control, but after seeing this thread, I attempted to use it, and it doesn't work, just plain doesn't engage, no lights or nothing.

I wonder if I'm experiencing what is being described here? Guess I'll have to check it out!

Hmm, interesting information here. I just bought a used 2004 Explorer XLS Sport with 63k miles.

After driving it about 350 miles, the ABS light started to come on, usually as the result of aggressive acceleration. I very rarely, if ever use cruise control, but after seeing this thread, I attempted to use it, and it doesn't work, just plain doesn't engage, no lights or nothing.

I wonder if I'm experiencing what is being described here? Guess I'll have to check it out!

I would 100% guarantee its your problem.
The only way I could get my ABS light to come on was to floor it...
after that no cruise....
sometimes even though the abs light was not on, cruise did not work.
Its a cheap test... only $20... im confident it will correct it.

Hey Guys, new here. Wondering if 3L3Z9F924AB is the part number you would need for a 4.0L engine.

THanks! I really appreciate it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Guys, new here. Wondering if 3L3Z9F924AB is the part number you would need for a 4.0L engine.

THanks! I really appreciate it!

Hey Fred
Yes that should be it. Should be the same for 4.6 and 4.0
its the part number that was sold to me

Its a dealer only item so they will be able to look it up for you and confirm

Back