RE: ABS/Cruise Control problem. Might have a fix | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RE: ABS/Cruise Control problem. Might have a fix

I loove this forum!!! Been dreading taking my 03 to the shop to get the cruise fixed. Will try that as soon as i get back in town...Thanks again explorer forums!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if some of u have low brake fluid if ur ABS light comes on when hitting the brakes or accelerating hard. This might be causing the fluid to shift in the reservoir & the level sensor to not detect fluid. My '94 B3000's abs light would come on if the fluid got low. But if ur also having cruise ctrl problems, low fluid is not the answer.

mrau92me,

If you are having brake fluid issues, you need to take your mounty to a dealer and get that fixed. I recieved a recall letter in November about that and have yet to take it in.

Look up Recall 09S09, it's a free fix;) (edit-I put the wrong info in:( Fixed now;))

Or go here and enter you Model and Vin#
http://www.ford.com/owner-services/customer-support/recall-information

Well, since I posted my earlier message, I haven't had a chance to delve into this any deeper. I'm having issues with my Mustang not being able to pass Delaware inspection, so that has been my priority as far as dealing with car issues.

What I have noticed is this, the Explorer's ABS light went out by itself back around New Years, and it hasn't come back on since! I still don't use the cruise control, so I'm not sure if it's working correctly, or not. The odd thing is, the ABS light coming on seemed to go away after taking the truck out in the snow and engaging the 4x4. Ever since then, no light!

Just reading along fellers, and recently my cruise stopped working. The cruise light on the dash lights up, but the cruise will not engage and hold speed. Will replacing this switch on the MC get it going again? Thanks.

That's probably it, but first I would make a quick check to make sure that the cc cable is still connected at the servo and at the throttle body bracket and make sure the cable moves freely by moving the throttle bracket by hand (probably not it, unless you've had some work done in that area causing the cable to be disconnected). Next, since ur dash light comes one, might as well check ur speed sensor functionality by driving it up to about 35 mph or so, then set the cruise so that the dash light comes on, then coast to 25 mph (do not touch the brake pedal). The sp sensor should turn the cc & light off around 30 mph. Then, assuming all that checks ok & you've already had the dealership do the MC switch harness recall, change the MC switch (for only 15 bucks & 15 min of time for a common problem, it's worth just changing out). My MC switch had brake fluid inside its electrical connector when I took it off. If the switch doesn't fix it, could be the $ervo, which is rare, but if it is, I have a used one that I know works fine and I'll sell it to u.

brake switch recall

The recall doesn't involve replacing the switch. They just add a harness with two fuses to the switch. Supposedly one or both fuses will blow if brake fluid leaks in the switch thus preventing a fire.

That's probably it, but first I would make a quick check to make sure that the cc cable is still connected at the servo and at the throttle body bracket and make sure the cable moves freely by moving the throttle bracket by hand (probably not it, unless you've had some work done in that area causing the cable to be disconnected). Next, since ur dash light comes one, might as well check ur speed sensor functionality by driving it up to about 35 mph or so, then set the cruise so that the dash light comes on, then coast to 25 mph (do not touch the brake pedal). The sp sensor should turn the cc & light off around 30 mph. Then, assuming all that checks ok & you've already had the dealership do the MC switch harness recall, change the MC switch (for only 15 bucks & 15 min of time for a common problem, it's worth just changing out). My MC switch had brake fluid inside its electrical connector when I took it off. If the switch doesn't fix it, could be the $ervo, which is rare, but if it is, I have a used one that I know works fine and I'll sell it to u.

This sounds like a plan. Thanks for the thorough advice. The transmission was just R/R/R. Is there a kickdown cable on this thing like I'm a little more familiar with on older GM trannies, that connects from the top of the engine down to the trans somewhere? That maybe the shop didn't check after they put it back in and hooked everything up?

one thing of note, at least with my '04 if you set cruise and hit coast to say about 30mph it WILL kill the engine, bad programming imo. There is no speed cutoff.

Also in '04 there is a new fly by wire system therefore no servo/throattle cable . .usually cruise problems are the switch on the master cyl, some have a sensor on the pedal(not sure of the years).

This sounds like a plan. Thanks for the thorough advice. The transmission was just R/R/R. Is there a kickdown cable on this thing like I'm a little more familiar with on older GM trannies, that connects from the top of the engine down to the trans somewhere? That maybe the shop didn't check after they put it back in and hooked everything up?

Some speed sensors screw into the transmission, but I don't think the one used for the cruise control is dedicated just to the cc, so you'd probably be having other symptoms, perhaps ABS or speedo.

The recall doesn't involve replacing the switch. They just add a harness with two fuses to the switch. Supposedly one or both fuses will blow if brake fluid leaks in the switch thus preventing a fire.

True, but my understanding is that if they find fluid leaking into the switch, they're suppose to change the switch as part of it, too. In my case, I was having cc problems when I took it in for the recall, hoping it would also fix the problem. They installed the harness but didn't even check if the switch had fluid in it. Instead, they told me my servo was bad and quoted me $500. I replaced it with a used one for 80, but of course, it didn't fix it. :mad: After trying to troubleshoot everything else, I finally came back to the switch, which had fluid in it.

I replaced the switch I have no clue what to do when it comes to repairing cars and I got that part for 35 bucks at the ford dealer and put it in, in less than 5 min with just a wrench

I installed the sensor but my cruise still doesnt work. Any other recommendations? I dont want to take it to the dealer. It costs $70 to run a dianostics.

one thing of note, at least with my '04 if you set cruise and hit coast to say about 30mph it WILL kill the engine, bad programming imo. There is no speed cutoff.

Also in '04 there is a new fly by wire system therefore no servo/throattle cable . .usually cruise problems are the switch on the master cyl, some have a sensor on the pedal(not sure of the years).

So this is the issue I am worried about in my mountaineer. You think it's actually an expected behavior to shut down? I find that really strange if so, seems like a liability for Ford if they allow the computer to shut down a vehicle. Some other forums that I was reading was saying that it is most likely a Throttle Position Sensor that needs replaced. Your thoughts?

You think it's actually an expected behavior to shut down?

hell no, its' not. What the strategy dictates is that if there is a drop of X mph (I can't remember), the cruise simply disengages. It would be crazy to kill off the one thing that runs the power steering and brakes, you know??

If your TPS is failing, the brain will do one of two things, it will either remove all throttle input to the throttle body, or it will assign like 800 rpm so that you can make a controlled stop.

BUT - it will throw the wrench light, and warning in the command display, too.

doitforme - what did you replace? You should have swapped the switch after checking the fuse, and making sure the wiring is all ok.

Is there a kickdown cable on this thing like I'm a little more familiar with on older GM trannies, that connects from the top of the engine down to the trans somewhere? That maybe the shop didn't check after they put it back in and hooked everything up?

what year? I am in reply mode and cant read your avatar stuff. 05 / 5R55S, no. except for a mechanical shift selector, there isn't another mechanical conn I can think of. All controlled by the shift strategy commanded by the calibration map stored in the PCM.

Some speed sensors screw into the transmission,

IIRC, its' a hall effect... waitaminute (grabs ATSC manual) doesn't say definitively, but there are three speed sensors, input, turbine, and output.

some have a sensor on the pedal(not sure of the years).

For sure, 05. The dealership can't even tell what/if the cutoff is. I am building a writeup on how to swap that one, its' just been too damn crappy to get out there. I did find a fun fact - you only get one shot on installing the pedal switch. It is autoadjusting, kinda like the old manual hydraulic clutch pedals. You can't remove it and start over, according to Ford.

-Shawn

well i checked it out about 2 years ago and got it to stall and a few others reported the same. It has run fine for the last 40kmiles, no CEL or any other problems. But its the first truck out of many that worked this way. I don't think it intentional, but either a bug in the strategy or an oversight (i know you wouldn't think either) but it does it. For me its not a big deal at all, i never used cruise below highway speeds so it isn't a concern.

miracle fix... for 3 miles! Not worth the $23

I went 37,000 miles thinking there was some crazy expensive problem with the ABS... I mean they sound expensive, right? New speed sensor in the top of the rear diff, Went to Advance, $22 later, 20 minutes, light was out. I was ear to ear smiles, going down the road, 3 miles later, "LIGHTS BACK. Took the new one out at advance, broke it in the process, said lots of bad words, put the old one back in with there "wonderful" loaner tools, and have come to grips I was meant to stare at that gastly light mocking me in its orangy glow:metalnart2@yahoo.com

I do believe this is my problem as well and really appreciate the help but just making sure on what everyone is talking about is the senseor conected to wires? what does it look like

sensor

ok so just to make sure what does the sensor on the master cylinder look like and is it located on the side toward the engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its on the front of the MC

noRSC.jpg

Here is what it looks like:

getimage.php

Here is the P/N

MOTORCRAFT Part # SW6349 {#3L3Z9F924AB}
Assy Only, Mounted In Brake Line or Master Cylinder

Back