1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

re-gear?

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by Yeeehaw86, October 14, 2006.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Yeeehaw86

Yeeehaw86 Active Member

City, State:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '99 XLS
    I have uprgraded from the stock tires to 32's now, and have lost a significant amount of power. I seem to be running almost up to 4,000rpm way too often for comfort, and fuel efficiency. What ratio gears should I use to replace the 3.73's that i have now, to get back closest to stock driving. and what should I use to go one step up, to get a little bit more power for off road?

yes, i searched.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Va
    00 4x4 Mounty
    4:10s. The next step up is 4:56 and those would suck on the highway with 32s.

BTW I have a front set of 4:10s for sale :)

4. MadMike6786

MadMike6786 Active Member

City, State:
    hillsborough, nj
    98 sport
    what is the stock size gear? i thought about re-gearing my whip i have 33's and a 4inch lift with a bunch of performance mods. do the gears make a difference?

~ps i already get b00t leg gas mileage

hit me back

5. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Va
    00 4x4 Mounty
    Put your stock wheels and tires on and see how big the difference is. Then find out what the best gear ratio would be for you 4:10 - Gas milage, 4:56 - more power.

I run 4:10s on my 35s but I also have a 302 with mods

6. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Lake View Terrace, CA
    '91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
    try turning on the OD :D

I use to have 33's and 3.73's sure it was gut less but it got 15mpg on the highway :rolleyes:

7. Yeeehaw86

Yeeehaw86 Active Member

City, State:
    Charlottesville, VA
    '99 XLS
    so would 4.56's be more suited for 33's? I could alway just get bigger tires if so...lol. :D

8. pgdsm

pgdsm Active Member

City, State:
    Vancouver, B.C.
    96 awd limited
    so when people say 4.56 would suck with 32's is that an actual 32 tire or claimed? Cause I have 33 super swampers that measure to be closer to 31.5, so do I figure mine by 31, 32 or 33 inch tires? I currently have 3.73 but want more ommph trying to decide 4.10 (not much change) or 4.56 what would one suggest?

9. pete99ex

pete99ex Active Member

City, State:
    Norfolk VA
    99 xlt
    well there isnt really a tire that measure exactly 33 they usually just round up. it really depends, do you drive alot on the highway? if you do 4.10 would be your best bet. 4.56 will definately get you OOMMMPH but your highway mileage will suffer. when i go to 33's i am going with 4.56. this is a question everyone struggles with on here but the people who choose 4.56 are usually really happy with their decision

10. hiridin

hiridin Active Member

City, State:
    tx
    1998 ford explorer 4x4
    with 33's your going to want 4.56's atleast. 4.10's came stock in the explorers with a 235x75r15 so u jump all the ways up to 33's and 4.10's just aren't going to cut it. 4.10's are good for stock tires or up to a 31" tire. there is someone running 4.56's and 32's and gets great intown mileage and they still get decent highway. with a manual tranny...

11. Yeeehaw86

Yeeehaw86 Active Member

City, State:
    Charlottesville, VA
    '99 XLS
    Thanks for all the response to this. Now all I have to do is go pick one and install them. I'm leaning towards the 4.56's, just because I always thought my explorer was a little weak, and could use a boost. If anyone has some 4.56's for sale, I'm now in the market for them. :D I asked a guy for a price quote on them at a 4x4 shop in Richmond, Va, and he said it would be over $2,000. I think he was having some computer issues though. If anyone is in the Richmond area, you may want to avoid "4 Wheel Specialties", as they seemed challenged and overpriced.