1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Re wire power outlet

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by valleyboy19, April 24, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. valleyboy19

valleyboy19 New Member

City, State:
    Naugatuck Valley Ct.
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    97 Mercury Mountaineer
    Hi, I have a 4 outlet power supply ( cig lighter type) that I installed on my middle console between the front seats. I plug this into my 97 Mountaineer's cig lighter. I am going to use the power supply for a GPS and a bluetooth
    device for my phone. The bluetooth I plan on using all the time but the GPS will only be used once in a while. My problem is the Mountaineer's cig lighter is hot all the time and the 4 outlet power supply has 2 lights on it to show you that it is plugged in. How can I rewire the Mountaineer's cig lighter so it will lose power when I turn the car off? Could or should I try to tap into my radio's hot wire? Not sure if that is a good idea or not. The 4 outlet power supply has a 10 amp fuse built in. Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 1Aauto

1Aauto EF Vendor

City, State:
    mass
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    92 explorer
    Welcome to the site