• Register Today It's free!

reading obd2 without a scanner

martin_95037

Reaction score
City, State
Morgan Hill, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer EB 4.6 V8
the other day I heald down my brake pedal and very slowly turned the the igntion key over just for the fun of it. my gauges wen from low to high. I could see my RPMs where I normaly see my milage and a whole lot more information that I cant recall at the moment. I have tried to recreate what I did multiple times and have been unable to do so. I wish I would have gotten a video of what I saw.

can anyone provide step by step instructions on how to do this?

It was probably just a fluke, error caused by a moment of low voltage but even if it weren't, that is not OBD2.

Why not just buy an OBD2 scan tool? They are not very expensive these days.

I already have one. but the point is that you can get the info without buying a reader. and what if you cant read the codes for whatever reason with a reader.

this video explains what I saw. although it is not the same process in regards to how I got there.

What do you mean "what if you can't read the codes"?

There is nothing this method will show you that a code reader capable of live data can't.

It is useful to know that you can get some data without a reader, but ultimately, just a tease at the diagnostic capabilities you can have with one. I don't see the point in that you aren't left guessing what else your vehicle can tell you if you have a comprehensive reader instead of just what the factory features allow.

If you have a fault and doing this finds it, great, but DIY tends to be a commitment, to have more diagnostic capability so you aren't stuck with "maybe this will help".

Back