Rear A/C makes a thumping/clicking sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear A/C makes a thumping/clicking sound

BigMic

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02
I'm new here, not technically proficient with cars, and I tried to search my problems in other threads so go easy on me....

My wife's '02 Mountaineer has a clicking/thumping sound coming from the rear A/C. The air works fine, blows hard and cold, but when you turn on the rear A/C it starts...thump...thump...thump. If you turn it back off it turns into a click, kinda like the sound of a turn signal. I took off the rear panels covering the A/C to try and locate the problem but I don't want to disassemble the "core housing", if that's the appropriate name for it. Has anyone ever encountered this problem or have any ideas?

One other thing, I never noticed this until I removed the panels covering the rear A/C but when I accelerate on the gas there is a hissing sound coming from back there. When I let back off it stops, press and hisses some more.

Any help would be great, wife is giving me **** on a daily basis by now.
Thanks,
Mic

My Mountaineer has the same problem. I looked at a chilton's manual and I saw that there is a temperature blend door actuator and an air distribution blend door actuator on the back of the core assembly. When I move the temperature control it stops the thumping so I think I need a new temperature blend door actuator. Maybe that is what you need also.

Does the air distribution blend door actuator move the air from the overhead vents to the lower vents?

Back