Rear Ac unit 2014 explorer PIU

Smoke2013

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer PIU
Hello to All,
I have read some good info on here so here I am >>> a new member.
Hopefully along the way I can contribute some info as well.

Does anybody know if the rear ac unit on a 2014 explorer PIU is the same as the civilian model?
Best regards,
Smoke2013

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is.. if you are installing one into a piu that doesn't already have it it is quite a bit and really unless you can source parts cheap at a local yard. You will need the entire rear unit behind the trim panel full line sets from under the car.. must drop the fuel tank and Rear suspension down to remove. And will need the wiring going up to the driver's side front door connector. The rest is simply connecting wires and programming in forscan

It is.. if you are installing one into a piu that doesn't already have it it is quite a bit and really unless you can source parts cheap at a local yard. You will need the entire rear unit behind the trim panel full line sets from under the car.. must drop the fuel tank and Rear suspension down to remove. And will need the wiring going up to the driver's side front door connector. The rest is simply connecting wires and programming in forscan
Thanks Kikinz24 .
I set a budget of $500 to add the rear air and it looks like that will do. I found a used rear hvac unit for $75 that works great. $38 for a new condensor. The control for the rear is such that you have to buy the whole radio bezel with one in it since mine is a PIU $59. The wiring is there already. Now for the lines and seals. We will see but it looks like about $200 for those. Of course, my labor is fuh fuh fuh reeee but I hope around 8 hours will do. Taking my time shopping for parts. Thanks again for the info, I will keep you posted. Sorry for the late reply, I had some distractions. Best regards.

Does it already have the vents and ducting for the rear?

Thanks Kikinz24 .
I set a budget of $500 to add the rear air and it looks like that will do. I found a used rear hvac unit for $75 that works great. $38 for a new condensor. The control for the rear is such that you have to buy the whole radio bezel with one in it since mine is a PIU $59. The wiring is there already. Now for the lines and seals. We will see but it looks like about $200 for those. Of course, my labor is fuh fuh fuh reeee but I hope around 8 hours will do. Taking my time shopping for parts. Thanks again for the info, I will keep you posted. Sorry for the late reply, I had some distractions. Best regards.
By condesnsor do you mean the evap coil that is on the unit itself? Because usually they go all as one piece. It's really not too hard if you don't mind the work.. the hardest part will be the line sets... You have to drop the fuel tank and rear cradle to mount it at the factory mounts.. luckily both the tank and rear cradle are easy to drop on these just make sure the tanks empty makes it a whole hell of a lot easier

Back