rear badge removal and a boo-boo.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear badge removal and a boo-boo..

ThunderbirdSport

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer V8
Well, i'd read a couple of threads here about bade removal, and liked how much cleaner the hatch looked without them.

So I thought I'd try my hand at it.

In hindsight, I reckon that using something like 3M adhesive remover is probably better than using brake cleaner to get rid of the residue.

D'oh. (I'm not a body/paint guy, and have never removed badges..also didn't know, but should've...that brake cleaner would take paint off)

Had good results with the RSC and the V8 emblems
zR7nQwE.jpg

The other side was a pain, and I damaged the paint
EyZZnCc.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ouch man..... hey, at least you have clean metal to prime and pain that spot, right?

Now you have a reason to repaint that part.

when I did all of my badges I used a plastic pry tool and cleaned all the glue off with good ol' WD-40 "which is the same stuff they sell as goof-off"

its actually not that hard of a fix if you can feather the paint with some wet sanding then tape off and prime then wet sand some more and grab a rattle can of matching paint the site i use is Touch Up Paint and accessories | AutomotiveTouchup then wet sand some more until its to your likings then just use regular automotive clear coat from the parts store and finishing up with some more wet sanding and finishing with a nice paint polish.... sounds like alot of work but a body shop will probably quote you over $500

Well, i'd read a couple of threads here about bade removal, and liked how much cleaner the hatch looked without them.

So I thought I'd try my hand at it.

In hindsight, I reckon that using something like 3M adhesive remover is probably better than using brake cleaner to get rid of the residue.

D'oh. (I'm not a body/paint guy, and have never removed badges..also didn't know, but should've...that brake cleaner would take paint off)

Had good results with the RSC and the V8 emblems
zR7nQwE.jpg

The other side was a pain, and I damaged the paint
EyZZnCc.jpg
I have used a plastic interior trim tool and acetone to do this many times. Acetone will not damage paint but softens the glue. start by using tool to pry off emblem then use acetone to soften glue. wait a few minutes then use tool to scrape off glue residue.

Back