rear body panel crack? who has it!! | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear body panel crack? who has it!!

Alright, I think I get what you're saying. I haven't taken mine off yet. Does make since to use some flexible adhesive, something needs to give a bit to prevent this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

GE 100% silicone in the tube was designed for this type of application. They have been using it for years to mount window panes in buildings that require flex from expansion and other sources. Once you get the old panel off without damaging the seal the rest is easy. Oh, use the entire 12 oz. spray can to paint the panel or it won't look quite right. Let me know how it turns out.

Well, for me, it took 240,000 miles in 10 years for 1 very cold night in ND to make the crack. Although it is an inherent design flaw, corrected by redesign a few years later, really what car manufacturer doesn't have something happen that ticks off an owner?
Let's be reasonable, I have replaced almost nothing on this vehicle except the radio/cd player, save wear parts like wheel bearings, struts, etc, and 1 alternator. I'm 900 miles from home now with it, use it for work, and have no intention of replacing it until at least 300K. The body looks great, and it runs like new. So I think I will invest in a new panel, and smile.

2005 Ford Explore Rear Window Panel

detsmv.jpg

This just happened today...2005 Ford Explore XLT, The rear glass panel broke and flew off the SUV right in front of the car behind me and swerved to avoid hitting the panel and almost hit the truck next to it. I got a big honk and dirty look. It's crazy but I heard the panel break and I look through my rear view mirror and saw the panel fly up and almost hit the car behind me. The speed limit was 50 MPH.
I called the Ford Hot Line and "Oh well your SUV is not under warranty any more, and there is no recall on this item, SORRY" "But if you have it fixed save your reciept and if there is a recall we can reimburse you" But they didn't say it would be the full amount. I also called The DOT Auto Safety Hot Line...They took my complaint. Looks like the glue that held the panel on lost it's adhesion and the wind got behind it and broke off the panel.
If your panel has not cracked or broken off yet you might want to check and see if it's loose in any way, so you can apply some type of glue to keep it from breaking and flying off. I had no Idea this could happen.
jrshawk

Just found this thread after noticing that mine has the same crack right now the middle.

If you do a search there is plenty of information here. I read that there will be a hearing in November for a class action lawsuit. I found a replacement panel (unpainted) for $75. I just don't want water damage to the wiper motor. Ford should be stand up and acknowledge they have a very wide spread problem.

Back