Rear Bumper Protectors | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Bumper Protectors

I forgot about that. I should have gone back and re-read the post. /facepalm

Still, I liked the way it turned out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It does look good painted. But my kids would probably have it all scratched up in no time.

I think painting it would be great but I just tend to think that with some bangs and nicks that paint is going to come off easily. Please let us know how it survives the test of time.

Anyway, for anyone reading this thread this is still the best bumper protector out there so far. Granted, you might need to trip the double sided tape or the edges a bit, I'll agree that in that area their quality assurance is weak, but compared to the OEM bumper protector, this is far, far superior.

Just recieved and installed my BMC Customs Bumper Cover. Ordered it direct from BMC as their shipping cost was cheaper than ebay or Amazon. Ordered it Thursday, recieved it tuesday. (Monday was a Holiday)

Looks pretty good. I expected it to be some type of rubber, but it is actually some type of plastic composite thats pretty thick. Did notice on the edge of the lip that overhangs the bumper that there was a ridge of material that was not trimmed properly during manufacturing. One side stuck out farther than the other as it went along the length of the cover. I simply trimmed it closer with a box knife, then used some sandpaper to finish it off and smooth it out ans the finished with a final wet sand. Also, part of the 3M sticky tape overhung the edge from underneath. Simply trimmed this back also.

Installation took about 5 minutes. I counted the ribs to center, marked it with blue tape. Then placed it on the bumper, lined up the center line blue tape with the rear door latch as a center guide(rear door was open). Marked the edges with blue tape to ensure it would be centered. Then I cleaned the bumper with the alcohol wipe they provided, removed the plastic on the 3M tape and carefully aligned it with my blue tape and stuck it down. The 3M tape is super sticky and grabs quick and hard, so be carfeul you get the alignment correct first time. Would be a ***** to try and pull off to re-do.

I felt I needed this accessory because the kids are always loading and unloading baseball bags full of gear into the back and are not always carefull in doing so.

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg
Hey- any chance you could measure the bottom lip width? I have a chunk out of mine and wonder if this would cover it. Thanks a bunch!

Anyone seen anything like this is chrome or diamond plate?

Just got my BMC cover. The edge has five voids caused by the mold. I sent pictures to BMC. I've asked for a replacement. We will see how they handle it.

BMC responce

Just got my BMC cover. The edge has five voids caused by the mold. I sent pictures to BMC. I've asked for a replacement. We will see how they handle it.

BMC has asked to have my bumper protector sent back so they can verify the quality. Just waiting on their return shipping label. I'll keep everyone updated.

Just ordered my rear bumper protector from BMC Extreme Customs‏, total $81.84, shipping is a lot cheaper than Amazon. Hope I get it soon!

I received mine yesterday, very easy to instal and looks great!

Thats exactly why I wet sanded the final edge, it brought it back to the correct color.

What type of sand paper did you use to do the wet sanding? I got my in the mail, but would like to clean up the edges a bit.

Thanks

$75 to my door via eBay. I also trimmed (filed) the molding flash from the bottom edge, followed up with some 0000 steel wool to return its original color. Nice item, but the curvature did not exactly match the bumper on our 2013 Exploder ... wound up installing it in the sun on a hot day so it would be more pliable.

What type of sand paper did you use to do the wet sanding? I got my in the mail, but would like to clean up the edges a bit.

Thanks

It was just a 2000 grit wet sand paper from the auto parts store that I had laying around.

I recently installed this bumper protector. Like cnsheets, mine isn't in perfect shape. mine had clear blemishes and some overhangs. These defects must've been from mold used in the production of the plastic. Still though, it serves the purpose! Not as conscious anymore in loading and unloading stuff.

Agree, as I also purchased the BMC Extreme Customs bumper protector directly from their site and absolutely love it! Packaged well and arrived promptly.

http://www.bmcextremecustoms.net/20foexrebupr.html

Just ordered mine from BMC. How long did it take to get it?

Our Edge has the Ford Bumper Protector "Decal" and its holding up, but lie others have said, it doesn't protect the edge of the bumper and ours as scratches. The black plastic under the copper paint really shows up too.

BMC, first accessory i bought. i researched about 3 months ago on this site 3 months ago lots of good feedback for the BMC

I have the BMC bumper guard on my EX. It looks great. Installation was easy..... gave it to my husband and he put it on. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My cover came last week, but I didn't get to install it until today. We took a trip with the cub scouts and luckily, the bumper made it home without a scratch. It took me less than 10 minutes to install. I didn't need to trim any, but it looked like someone had trimmed some already. Maybe they are taking care of it ahead of time now. Any way, here's the pic if it installed.
-AA4F-465B-B330-A08BDDCCAEF4-7250-000009828907E76F.jpg

Back