• Register Today It's free!

Rear Diff fluid

Agent_51

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT SOHC
So to make a long story short i was at valvoline today and they told me that i need to get my rear diff flushed and have new fluid put in. They showed me some of it on thier stupid little card and said it had metal shavings in it and that it smelled burnt. I smelled it myself and it didnt smell burnt at all, it just smell like oil. Anyways i have a feeling that theyre trying to rip me off because when they asked me what kind of oil i used i told them i didnt have a clue. Plus ive been told that my ex reeks of money so they probably thought they could con me into getting it done. Anyways i told them i wanted a second opinion and didnt get it done.

Are they trying to rip me off? Ive got 28000 miles on it, 2wd XLT SOHC.

Thanks for anyhelp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Run, don't walk away from that joint...

With that few miles on your truck, it is extremely doubtful that you need to change fluid.

You might want to have it checked by someone else.

Good luck.....

How did they find metal shavings without taking the cover off? I think they're full of s**t.

If you want to tell, just take the cover off yourself and change the fluid. It's not that hard. But that place is probably full of it.

i have 100k miles... should i replace my rear diff fluid?

Originally posted by coolchriscush

I would. And I would recommend full synthetic.

Originally posted by coolchriscush

I think that yours probably has syn 75W140 as factory fill (check owner's manual) since you have V8.

For my 97 they say syn is good "for life of vehicle" but 100K is a pretty reasonable change interval for syn gear lube. The only way to know for sure would be by having an oil analysis done.

They are trying to rip you off. You don't need it at 28K miles unless it has been submerged in water (which yours has not).

Just out of personal interest, what were they going to charge you? You can do it yourself for under $25 if you use full synthetic.

No... you can find metal without takin off the cap... the fill plug is magnetic... for just that purpose so if you do have metal in there it goes right to the cap and does not grind everything up....

Originally posted by BradE.
Just out of personal interest, what were they going to charge you? You can do it yourself for under $25 if you use full synthetic.

29.99 probably using thier worst oil.

Back