Rear diff questions?

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
Being we don't have a dedicated section for axles, I will post this here. I have found a couple D2 4:10 axles in the local you pull it. While the door tag says D2. Where on the axle is it stamped? So I can make sure it really is a 4:10. Second, Being I don't know how these rears have been treated. I may want to rebuild the LS in it. When I pull the LS unit out. as long as I don't pull the pinion, Do I need to worry about resetting the back lash Etc.?

Thanks
Tim

Make sure to mark the position of EVERYTHING - cap orientation, shims, etc. There is no reason to go off spec. There is also an inexpensive tool to reinstall the factory shims so they don't shatter. You probably want the carbon fiber clutch kit if you are doing this.

I installed a different ford carrier and it was very close.

There is no "stamp" on the diff housing, but there should be a sheet metal tag on one of the diff cover bolts. Somethings these tags are missing, because at one time the diff cover was removed and they didn't replace the tag.

Going by the door code for the rear axle is a way to know what the original ratio was, but it's not a guaranty someone didn't change it at some point. The ring and pinion should also be stamped with their ratio. Pulling the cover will also insure you're buying an LS and not an open diff.

If you're not removing the pinion gear, or replacing the gear set, it isn't necessary to mess with the backlash, but I'd want to check it just to determine the amount of wear on the gears. Most of the used rears you likely to find in the bone yard will have 200,000 miles on them with unknown service history.

Back