• Register Today It's free!

Rear differential leak

rookie99

Reaction score
City, State
Gillespie, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer XLT
New here, My mechanical ability is probably a 5 on a 1-10 scale. My Explorer is a 99 stock XLT. Been seeing a small puddle of 90 wt gear oil (touched and smelled it, distinctive odor) from the rear differential just about every time it's parked for a day or two. Looks like it's coming from the seal at the input shaft. I have never had a differential apart. I've pulled drive shafts, replaced universal joints, transmission seals, that kind of stuff. What am I getting myself into if I try to replace this seal myself? I'm a member on the Honda VTXOA motorcycle board and have learned quite a bit there and even managed to help a few people out too. Members there often provide links to info on specific questions as well as hands on advise. Hopefully, you guys have the the same type of set up. Thanks, in advance, Gary

Welcome

Welcome to the forum, Gary.
The seal replacement you are asking about is pretty straightforward, EXCEPT for the issue of pre-loading the bearings in the differential. I myself don't know much about that, but there are a lot of experts here who I'm sure could help you. Also, there is a sub-forum for transmissions, differentials, & transfer cases, you could try over there also.
Best wishes.

Back