Rear door lock sounds like a motor running but doesnt work. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear door lock sounds like a motor running but doesnt work.

dacaur2

Reaction score
City, State
eagle mountain
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 explorer XLT
This problem is actually on my dads 2010 explorer.
So when they lock or unlock the doors, the rear passenger side door makes a motor running sound for a few seconds. Like, if I had to describe it, its like a normal lock sound, but its not connected to anything so just runs.... and the door normally doesn't lock/unlock, but maybe sometimes does? When he was showing me the issue, it seemed like it worked the first time, and he seemed surprised it worked, then it didnt work again. Thinking about it it might have already been locked, I didnt mess with it myself... it sounded the same each time.

So, is this common? Is it possible something just became disconnected? Worth opening it up just to look, or should I get a new lock assembly ready so I only have to open it once?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This problem is actually on my dads 2010 explorer.
So when they lock or unlock the doors, the rear passenger side door makes a motor running sound for a few seconds. Like, if I had to describe it, its like a normal lock sound, but its not connected to anything so just runs.... and the door normally doesn't lock/unlock, but maybe sometimes does? When he was showing me the issue, it seemed like it worked the first time, and he seemed surprised it worked, then it didnt work again. Thinking about it it might have already been locked, I didnt mess with it myself... it sounded the same each time.

So, is this common? Is it possible something just became disconnected? Worth opening it up just to look, or should I get a new lock assembly ready so I only have to open it once?
I have the same issue. Hope someone answers, or did you get it figured out?

I have the same issue (2009), and was hoping someone would reply. Did you get it figured out?

THnaks!

Sounds like the solenoid in the door lock has failed. So when you engage the locks, you hear the solenoid actuator buzzing but the solenoid doesn't shift position and engage the lock. Have you tried locking the door manually and seeing if the actuator will unlock the door? They are easy to replace, as long as you have tiny hands to get way into the back of the door interior.

Thanks to all for the replies. At least the door panel looks easy enough to remove, but as for tiny hands, that'd not be me. Hmmmm, wonder if my wife could get her hands back there once I found what needed to be replaced.

..., but as for tiny hands, that'd not be me.

My hands are not the smallest, and I was able to get the door lock solenoid mechanism replaced on my driver's front door. I ended up with a lot of metal scratches, but I could do it. There's a YouTube video that details the whole process if I'm not mistaken.

Back