• Register Today It's free!

Rear end fluid

Chris Swartzfager

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 ford explorer xlt
I just recently changed my Rear end fluid in my 04 ford explorer and tonight i was reading my manual that came with it and it says to add 4oz of additive friction modifier xl-7, do i have to do this and if so where do i find this at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Does the manual list a Ford part number? Auto parts stores have friction modifiers from various brands. I don't think that you need one particular type. A lot of brands say that they are good for synthetic fluids too.

the limited slip additive is a good idea yes, it keeps the rear gear lube from foaming up and creates a better environment for your limited slip traction device, ensures it lives longer
You can get it at any parts store
I always dump it in first, since now your diff is full and you are trying to add more fluid

I’m lazy and buy the fluid with it already in it. Check your bottle to make sure it isn’t.

A couple of nitpicking details: Do you actually have a limited slip differential? Check your axle code. I don't know about 2004, but I have the Ford shop manuals for 2005 and they call for the differential to be filled to the bottom of the fill plug hole, then replace the plug and add an additional 8 ounces through the ABS sensor hole.
That may not apply to your model year but I am just throwing this out for you to check.

That sounds interesting, pull two items to fill it with. Funny, I always wondered about filling the rear with the vehicle angle not level, with the back jacked up enough to get under it.

Check the LF door jamb for the VIN plate. Find the Axle code which tells you the ratio and whether it's LS or not. A first digit letter there is an LS, a number is an open diff.

I have a 2004 with 4.0. From my understanding, if it has a towing package, it has a limited slip rear end. The towing package has a very large trans cooler between the radiator and A/C condenser, a power steering cooler under the engine, and an engine oil cooler. That is a black donut with coolant hoses running to it at your oil filter.
Mine would "chatter" real bad when making low speed turns. There was a TSB saying the factory fill was too thin (which they put in for better mileage). I drained and put in Motorcraft full synthetic 75W-140 and a bottle of the friction modifier that you referred to (also Motorcraft from the dealer). I also filled until it started to come out of the hole, and then added eight more ounces in the ABS sensor hole. I had the back jacked up just high enough to get under it. After a couple days of driving the chatter was gone. Worked great.

Back