Rear end noise | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear end noise

I have a 2004 XLT V-6 for less than a year and just got it back from dealer ship after they had it for a week. I brought it in due to noise coming from rear and they had to fix the rear axle, plus they also discovered they had to fix wheel bearing front drivers side (Also had to replace rear driver side window regualtor and motor as well as fuse to center console power outlet).... On top of all that they told me I need new tires, I have only put 8000 miles on vehicle since I bought it from dealer and think this is all a bit ridiculous. Probably wont ever buy another american car again since all my others have been Japanese or Korean and never had these problems especially on a vehicle less than two years old. Am I crazy for thinking this or Are Ford explorers just built like this? By the way the dealership is Team Ford at Northpoint in Alphretta Georgia.... NEVER BUY FROM THEM since their answer to my problems was to make me buy another car!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know the mileage on your SUV, but if it's not a lot, then I'd guess someone else has the tires that came with that truck or that the truck has suffered front damage that affects the tire wear. The older Explorers (91 to 94) did go through front tires fast, but Ford changed the front end design a lot since then.
Has anyone else noticed excessive front tire wear on the 2002 to 2005 series Explorers?

My tires on my2002 are wearing very good. The originals (Michelin) were still on it when I got it at 28,000 miles and I put Continentals on at about 50,000 and they still look almost like new currently at 75,000. I've never had an alignment but I do have them rotated every 6,000.

:usa: At 16K Dealer drove my 02 for a block and said yup, Visteon gave us a bunch of s**T rear ends (3:73 LS 4WD), you get a new differential. Few months later in 90 degree Xway starts singing again. Now I'm hearing the start of grinding. I purchased Xtended warranty on this POS before it falls apart. Extortion would be a good word for it. Too bad corporate America is causing us to lose jobs, I'll never buy another.

The tires that came on my 02 XLT lasted till 59K without any bad wear. I replaced them because the tread depth was getting small. I run Michelins, and the replacements are michelins also. I now have 92K on the car.
Tires still look good. The rear end sings, and has since 30K, but from what I am reading on the boards, it appears the fix is worse than the disease. I will wait until mine is ready to die before fooling with that.

Dave

My 1994 did the exact same thing - right between 62 and 66mpg. I had it rebuilt (4 times before they fixed it) and in 6 months - it was back again. When I bought the 2005, I got the bumper to bumper zero deductible warrantee. I learned from the first time. Now they can eat the cost if it sings - again and again. Maybe that will encourage them to redesign them - just a little if they are paying for it.

i have a 02 4x4 V6 and i have 94k and my rear wines as well how long can the rear last before it finally goes ? before the rear locks and throws diff gears out of the case ,

i worked for a local ford dealership and i saw 2000 exploder with 20 inch rims and guess what there was a HUGE hole in the Diff cover i asked the mechanic he said the differential pin BLEW right out of the back of the case HAHAHAHAHHA for for that owner

I have a 2002 X that has the whine (not very loud) but when you left off the gas the noise disapears. I did bring my X to a Ford Dealership recently and they said the differential was fine. I did have a bad wheel bearing (which is covered by my extended warranty).

I just aquired a 2003 Explorer XLT with 81K (fleet vehicle from my company) and it has the whine in it from around 55 to 65 MPH. I asked one of our guy about it since he has driven several Explorers and he said (other than the standard gear and bearing problems) the problem was the rear end mounting to the body of the truck -- there was no cushion, and the noise was transmitted straight to the body. He said this has been corrected with the 2005s which he drives one of now. Anyone else know of anything like this?

Back