1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rear gate handle questions (doesn't open hatch, just glass)

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by geosnooker2000, July 31, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000 Active Member

City, State:
    Somerville TN
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
    My gate handle has been like this for several years. It won't open the lift gate. It will only open the glass. I opened it up and I see the problem. The black plastic shaft sticking out of the handle control apparatus LOOKS like it was broken off and is only long enough now to make contact with the window latch, but not the gate latch.

SOOO I was at the local U-Pull-It the other day and, on a whim, decided to test a 1st gen I was walking by. That handle worked both the gate and the glass. So I grabbed my wrench and pulled that part and felt oh, so, smart.

This evening I was about to just trade them out, and held the replacement up to the one still in the truck. The black plastic shafts look identical in length. :mad:

Is it possible (probable) that the steel bracket that holds the glass and gate latches has warped/bent inward away from the black door handle actuator shaft that it is now out of reach to the gate latch? I'm thinking of removing the bracket and bending out a bit and re-installing it.

What do y'all think? Has this happened to any of you?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. something9000

something9000 Active Member

City, State:
    naples fl
    1994 navajo
  4. geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000 Active Member

City, State:
    Somerville TN
    '10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
    Mmmmmmm.... No help. I have the Haynes manual, but you can't tell weather or not my bracket is bent by looking at that drawing. I just want to know if this (Handle opens glass but not gate) is a common problem, and if so, what is the common solution.