rear hatch alignment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear hatch alignment

long story short. wife backed the X into the early bronc awhile back in our driveway. didnt file on insurance, figured i could get a junkyard hatch for under the $500 deductible and save a premium hike all at once. found one on a 97, same color, great condition, for 100 bucks. got it on, and it sits too high. it opens/closes perfect, but when closed the "body line" on the hatch is .3-.5" higher than on the rear panels. i am at the end of the adjustment on the hinges, and it cant come down any more. BTW, i removed the hatch from the wrecked X, and it was all front damage, no rear. it was lined up perfect on the donor truck, and open/closed properly. also, im 100% sure nothing on my X was damaged (like hinges, mounting points, etc.) as the stock dented hatch still opened/closed as it should and was aligned perfect even AFTER the accident. any suggestions?

Question , were the hinges from the donor or are the hinges origonal ?
Check your alignment with the latch striker removed.
That way you know the striker is not infleuencing the alighment.
Remember the bolts that go from hinge to truck will control the in and out ( to and from the truck )
The bolts tha go from hinge to hatch the up and down
( up and down )
Lemmie know if I can help any further.

hinges are from original. i am certain they werent bent (hit wasnt that hard, and dented hatch was still aligned perfect after accident.) you know, i never thought about removing the strikers. good idea, and ill try that sometime today. the hinge-to-hatch bolts are the ones i need more play in, and like you said, control the up/down. i am currently maxed out on them. hatch fits in-out perfectly, and needed no adjustment. ill bug you some more after i find out what the strikers are doing...:D thanx

Back