• Register Today It's free!

Rear Hatch Handle cover

gerryggg

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
My wife has a 2001 Sport and the black plastic cover over the rear hatch handle disintegrated from age. I removed it as the remaining edges were sharp, but now the tag lights are exposed. I can't seem to find it listed anywhere on line. Is my only option to go to a dealer to order it? :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could also find one at a junkyard, not sure why yours wore out from age, they're not a failure part that I've ever heard unless they were broken.

We live in Florida. Plastic parts get real brittle here because of the sun. One day as we opened the hatch it basically disintegrated.

I found an at the junkyard and was only charged like 6 bucks, I have my old one that has a gauge in it but nothing too bad you could have if need a temporary fix. I have a sport too and after measurements I noticed generally all the explorers have the same size so you could take it from a 4 door.

I got one online that was like new from someone I was steered to on this forum. It fits great and my wife is thrilled. As an added bonus, since I replaced the old one, the rear door handle doesn't stick like it used to. Sorry it took so long to respone. Yahoo put the notification e-mail in my spam folder.

i know this is a bit of an older thread but i have the same problem mine has broke and barely hanging on one good wind will take care of it. i work at lakeland ford in the parts warehouse, funny thing is none of us can firgure out what its actually called, we have got as far as pulling the hatch itself and broke down into parts on that but the number thats listed does not come up as a part, im at a loss here, tired to find out more online back all that come up was tag light install, lucky i got this thread to pop up. thanks for any help.

i know this is a bit of an older thread but i have the same problem mine has broke and barely hanging on one good wind will take care of it. i work at lakeland ford in the parts warehouse, funny thing is none of us can firgure out what its actually called, we have got as far as pulling the hatch itself and broke down into parts on that but the number thats listed does not come up as a part, im at a loss here, tired to find out more online back all that come up was tag light install, lucky i got this thread to pop up. thanks for any help.

You might try one of the links in the earlier posts. I seem to recall that someone contacted me after I got one to say they had one.

Back