Rear hatch won’t open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear hatch won’t open

jholden47

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT 4.0.
Hi, I am sure this is a common issue. My rear hatch won’t open! What’s the fix for this? I assume crawl into the trunk, pull the plastic, find the catch and replace the I. We workings?

Yes I know it’s probably easy but being daddy daycare to a 9 month old makes a easy job far more complex!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 06 Explorer and had the same issue. For me, the door lock actuator had failed. The hardest part of fixing this was getting the hatch unlocked since there isn't a physical knob or latch that is reachable without first taking off the plastic shell on the inside. It was a two-person operation to get the shell off as it's partially secured in place with two bolts at the grab handle that just so happens to be covered up when the hatch is closed. I had my dad push on a crowbar wedged near the handle to get some separation so I could snake a socket in there and unscrew the two bolts. Once free, it was easy to take the shell off and unlock the hatch and replace the actuator. The new actuator recently failed as well, fortunately it failed in the unlocked position. Took me about 5 minutes to replace it this time.

But before you do all that, make sure it isn't a fuse that failed.

Thanks so much for your description here CPEM, I think it might be the only place on the internet where the steps are described!

I assumed the design wouldn't be so stupid for the bolts to be inaccessible whilst closed :/ Not sure I'm going to be able to get at them on my own...... Wondering if i'll be able to unlock it any other way.

Is there a push button release anywhere on the 07 as I am struggling to get at the bolts described by CEPM above

Not sure zip ties are a good solution here. The video shows them wrapped around some very sharp edges and will break over time. I think he also uses them as a latch connection. I have a feeling he'll be doing that repair again but at least he knows how to get into the back panel to do it.

Back