Rear main seal leak additive? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chris-1997

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I noticed by rear main seal was leaking is there a additive you guys can recommend? It's not leaking like crazy but it's noticeable no drops on the driveway yet so hopefully still fixable. Something that will really work I know I should replace the rear main that's the only true way to fix it but I'm only going to keep this car for another year or so and just need a quick fix for now so any recommendations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recommend a piece of cardboard to put under the car to catch the drops. Unlike the stuff in the bottle, this is guaranteed to work! :)

(Nothing really works, you say that it doesn't leak enough to drip onto the ground, and you're only keeping the car 1 more year. I wouldn't even spend the $7, TBH).

I've tried many brands, and maybe one out of three helps. None will reduce leaking a lot, but if yours isn't bad, I bet you can be satisfied with the additives. I forgot the brands I used, but the better brands are likely to help. I wouldn't try the high stuff, some run $20 or more. The $5-8 range are what I tried, and I was pleased to invest that. My newest 98 had multiple leaks, and after fixing all but the two seals, I now leave no oil on the ground. I have seeping still from front and rear seals, but my 302 is eating oil. So I don't worry about the bottom of the engine being wet with oil, my heads need rebuilt to replace the valve stem seals etc.

Keep at it, TLC can stop the puddles left behind.

Interesting, it seems that a lot of people think seal conditioners make things worse if you stop using them. I doubt a seal would become harder/worse after a product(oil or additive) is used, and discontinued. I'd expect the seal to at worse return to the original condition.

With my oil usage in the one 302, I have to add something between oil changes. I usually add an additive about half of those times, I like the STP version for reducing leaks and smoking, but it used to be $4(now it's over $8(too much)). Rislone makes one I often have on hand, Lubegard has one($12 per usage), and Lucas also has a quart version that sounds good. I rarely add anything to my engines that don't use oil, very rarely. I've tried the old typical slick products, with no gains. For this work vehicle I'm justifying the extra costs for now. In Spring I'll get to doing the trans/TC, exhaust, and then the swap rebuilt heads onto it(GT40 and do the log manifolds). With new heads it should stop using oil(new front and rear seals earlier).

Go at leaks methodically, they can be conquered. I've solved them on every used car I've owned.

Back