• Register Today It's free!

Rear seat stuck

mcholst

Reaction score
City, State
Berkeley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Help! I can't fold down my rear right seat (the double one) in my '95 explorer xlt.
When I push down the handle it releases the seat in right side, but is still locked in the left side (between the left single seat and the double seat).
I guess there is somekind of cable, which should release the other side.

Any good tips and tricks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a '96 that did that. I found that 5-6 minutes of holding the latch while rocking it (hard) eventually it would come free. I never did find anything visible that might have been stuck or broken. I traded it in on my Ranger, but if someone knows I'm still curious to hear the answer.

i HAVE THE SAME PRBLEM???? CAN ANYBODY HELP!!

Isn't there just anyone who can at least tell me how this works, so I can try to do something?

Theres a cable that runs through the seat that has either broken or seperated from the wheel it ataches to on the seat hinge in the middle. Lift the back cover a with a flash light you should be able to see it. I had to take my seat out and used the cable for the seat recline on the back seat as a relase instead of trying to find a cable to replace it with.

Thanks

That is useful info.
I can see that there is two wires running through the seat and I never use the seat recline, so I think I'll go for the same model. Even though I hate the fact that I haev to take my seat out to do it.

Thanks

That is useful info.
I can see that there is two wires running through the seat and I never use the seat recline, so I think I'll go for the same model. Even though I hate the fact that I haev to take my seat out to do it.

I just switched the cables around because the seat recline in the back is pretty much point less. The seat isnt that hard to take out i think there are 4 nuts in the front legs. The 2 between the seats and a nut and a bolt on either side. And the seats do seperateonce unbolted.

I just switched the cables around because the seat recline in the back is pretty much point less. The seat isnt that hard to take out i think there are 4 nuts in the front legs. The 2 between the seats and a nut and a bolt on either side. And the seats do seperateonce unbolted.

Well that is good news at least.
Got my self a project for the weekend now :)

Dix fix it yesterday and took me less than a hour.

I removed the whole rear seat (both seats). 4 bolts for the 4 "legs" in the front of the seats. 2 bolts in each side (also holding the seatbelts) and 2 bolts between the two seats.
Took the whole seat out of the car and took of the handles for reclineing and folding the seat, so I could remove the plastic cover, which is hiding the start of the wire.
The took of the plastic cover between the seats by removing a big torx bolt.

Then the wire system was free to work with.
My wire was in great condition, the problem was just that it had come to loose to release.
There was two ways to tighten the wire (like when tightening your brakes on a bicycle). You could either move the cable to a place further around the wheel which it is hooked up on and turns around. (that is if you need to tighten the cable a lot. Alternatively you you could move the thing which holds the end of the hose (the thing where the wire/cable runs inside) to either tighten or loosen it. This should be done on the right side, just behind the handles you removed before.

I hope this explanation could help somebody in the future.

I am so thankful I have found this information... I have been searching for some useful information for awhile. I may not be able to fix my a/c or replace my odometer, but I should be able to get this darn seat down by myself!

I am a dog trainer and this stuck seat has been causing me problems for weeks. I need to get this seat down on Monday... one way or another!

Where is this cable??? When I lift the back cover all I see is one of the 2 metal rods that are part of the jack assembly. Could I have harmed the cable when I put the rods back in place after AAA fixed a flat tire?

I'm a 5'2" woman over 60... will I be able to do this by myself?

The cable is running under the leather, so you wouldn't be able to see it unless you exactly where to look.

There is a cable on each side of the seat to release the locks.

You might need at little help to take the seat out of the car, which makes everything a little more easy to work with, instead of tossing around inside the car.

Back