Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rear shackle repair

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by im2tall2, June 5, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. im2tall2

im2tall2 New Member

City, State:
    Ohio
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 Eddie Bauer
    I am getting ready to repair a rusted leaf spring shackle. I just bought the cheap replacements from autozone. I was wondering if I would also need to replace a bushings in the leaf springs as well. If so, how difficult is that. Also if any of you have any useful tips when repairing these, they are appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    Getting the shackles off is easy with an impact and some PB blaster. I had some bushings pressed in for me at a local shop once.

Tons easier with the spare off! The stock bottle jack works perfect between the frame rail and the leafs to line up the bolts. A nice heavy duty floor jack helps lifting the rear axle for alignment as well.

4. im2tall2

im2tall2 New Member

City, State:
    Ohio
    1994 Eddie Bauer
    Ok that sounds good. I was just hoping i wouldnt have to replace the bushings if i didnt have to. Just hope they will stay in and not fall apart or anything where i would have to replace them Thanks!

We Support Our Troops!