• Register Today It's free!

Rear shocks rusted in

BExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XL 4x4
I started to repalce my rear shocks, removed the bottom bolt on both of them. When I got to the top one, my wrench just hate away the bolts. Now I'm left with round bolts and no wrench matching those :D I need some advice on how to remove those, can't get the hack-saw in a good position and the rear bolts are out of reach. The shocks are so rusted that the outer shell fell off just by hammering the lower bolts off..... :rolleyes:HELP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They have those bolt-out's or whatever they are called, you could try those, I hear they work pretty good.

A properly placed vice grip might work cauz at this point, that nut is already damaged.

Or Bolt-Out:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...,+General+Purpose&sName=Bolt-Out,+Taps+&+Dies
attachment.jpg

Those bolt outs work really well.. I only wish I knew where my set has gotten to, everybody should have a set of them.

Dan

wow, thats amazing, im going to pick some up friday (for anyone in canada, their 39.99).

Yes they are amazing, my set has been used in so many things from damaged exhaust bolts to transmission bolts.

If all else fails then break out the hot wrench that'll get em out for sure :D

I had the same trouble. I cut a good portion of the shock casing off to make room, then drilled out the bolts from the bottom. Take a little while, but should do the trick.

a sawall with a foot long flame blade u can get them at canadian tire

Thanks all

I will try to get those bolts out that you all talk about and see what it does. Last night I also taught of a bolt breaker. At this point anyting will be good, as long as they get out and make place for the new.

Thanks again:)

Back