Rear Sway Bar End link Replacement help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Sway Bar End link Replacement help

MrPulldown

Reaction score
City, State
Truckeee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004, 4wd, 4.6l
Went to fix a rear flat tire the other day. Jack up one side of the Exp: SNAP. The top of the rear sway bar end link snaps off. Apparently the spring force created by the sway bar with one wheel compressed and the other at full drop, was enough tension load to snap it. So I then try to remove the rest of the end link and couldn't. Turning the hex head on the bottom just spins the end link stub. Couldn't grab the middle tight enough to keep it from spinning. Couldn't get a cut off tool in to make the cut.

I buy a replacement at the local O'Reilys. Looks like a long bolt with a spacer. But the spacer is fused to the rest of the old bolt. Any tips on this one before I tackle it again tonight.

I usually cut the old ones off with a cut off wheel or grinder...(right in the middle) then you can slip the sleeve off...

BTW, the common rubber ones don't last very long. I highly suggest investing in the Moog Polyurethane ones all the way around.

Front: MOOG K700542
Rear: MOOG K700540

Try a recip saw or use a pipe wrench to get a bite.

Got it.
3 hour bolt.
2 sessions to get the thing cut out. Had to cut/grind the head off the bolt from the bottom. SMall access hole so couldnt use a big grinder. Cut the shaft down some but can not cut all the way down to the base. The sleeve was totally corroded and fused to the bolt. What a bear.

Taking a break before slathering the new part in grease before I install.

Back