Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rear tire looks tilted....

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by Keeter, September 20, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Keeter

Keeter New Member

City, State:
      Baxter, MN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '97
      My passenger side rear tire looks to be slightly tilted. The top of the tire looks to be further out than the bottom of the tire. What holds the tire straight up and down. I know my shock is going out on that side, could that be the culprit?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Texan01

Texan01 Active Member

City, State:
      Dallas, TX
      1995 Explorer XLT
      you got an optional contusion. (optical illusion)

the rear wheels on the X are held in alighnment by the axle shafts, which are a piece of machined steel about 3 feet long and about 1"-1.5" in diameter, in order to bend one of those you really have to try. like drop it straight down from 20 feet in the air.

Best way to check and see if it's bent is to jack the rear end up, get both wheels off the ground and have a friend start it up and put in gear, you don't need to get it spinning very fast (less than 10-15 mph as indicated by the speedo) and if you see a wobble then the wheel is more than likely bent, easy check is to pull the tire off and throw the spare on it and recheck.

But if you can visually tell then it's going to vibrate like heck on the highway and wear out the axle bearings, tires, shocks in a big hurry.

4. Fischer

Fischer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Durango, Colorado
      95 Explorer XLT 4x4
      You'll know. My buddy replaced (upgraded) to an 8.8 salvaged for his B3000 Mazda (same as 3.0 Ranger)...Well he gets it installed and drives down the culdesac and his left rear is wabbleing like crazy. Conclusion, bent axle shaft. Replaced and good as new.

5. Ryan1

Ryan1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      White Bear Lake, MN
      94 XLT
      I wouldn't recommend Starting it and running it while it is up in there air. If you have a bent axel shaft you will be able to tell just by spinning it with you hand.

Ryan