rear wheel bearing replacement 2005 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear wheel bearing replacement 2005 explorer

wangbungal

Reaction score
City, State
miami fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford ranger xl 97
I pulled the knuckles out of a 2005 ford explorer xlt 4.0 v6 and tried to spin it I felt some drag, hard to spin and sound like a rough sand paper sound, so I got a new bearing had the bearings pressed and the shop f..cked up my knuckles, as they the bearing broke the lip of the other side, well they said no big deal, they weld that lip back but still looked terrible, I notice when I got it back, it still hard to spin and sound of sand paper still, IS that Normal?

I only replace the bearing, just to be clear, just want to get your thoughts about this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i suggest you go to rock auto and get a new one

I pulled the knuckles out of a 2005 ford explorer xlt 4.0 v6 and tried to spin it I felt some drag, hard to spin and sound like a rough sand paper sound, so I got a new bearing had the bearings pressed and the shop f..cked up my knuckles, as they the bearing broke the lip of the other side, well they said no big deal, they weld that lip back but still looked terrible, I notice when I got it back, it still hard to spin and sound of sand paper still, IS that Normal?

I only replace the bearing, just to be clear, just want to get your thoughts about this

Sounds like that shop has no idea what they are doing. I guess its possible to break the back of the casting if it's really stuck, but if they did it correctly, pretty low odds. Once it's broken, I'd say it's junk. Those are precision bores. You can't weld it and expect it to be any good. Not sure where to get a new knuckle except for the scrap yard. Find one with low miles and the bearing is probably still good. PITA to pull out though.

I'm considering pulling one for my Aviator because the outer race is stuck and burned. But I'm pretty sure the Explorer and Aviator knuckles are different. Going to be hard to find one for an Aviator.

I got mine done today. I used great care putting the new bearing in. Cleaned the bearing bore carefully and sanded down any gouges. I used proper pressing tools and a hydraulic press. When I was done, the bearing was silky smooth and absolutely no scraping noise. I think that's how it should be. I think you need to get yours fixed right, or it won't last long at all.

If the bearing is rough, it's most likely junk. You should be able to hear some noise but it shouldn't be rough in sound or feel. As far as the lip being broken off, a shop should have known what to do to not break it. That lip is mostly for location. Look at the thickness of it, do you think it is going to retain anything, much like the snap ring. The press fit can be pretty tight on some of these. As long as the piece they welded in lets the snap ring fit correctly so that the bore isn't too shallow or too deep that knuckle is fine. The bearing is probably bad though

Back