Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Rear Wheel Negative Camber

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Geologist, December 9, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Geologist

Geologist Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2004 Ford Explorer EB
    I bought my'03 Eddie about 1200 miles ago (it now has 105k miles)and noticed it had serious negative camber on the rear wheels (looks like /-\ from the rear) but didn't think much of it at the time, as the rear tires with about 50% wear had worn evenly.

However I am now noticing that those tires are beginning to wear on the inside significantly more than the outside. This leads me to believe the truck developed the camber issue immediately before I purchased it.

I put the rear on jackstands thinking it might be bushings or even rear wheel bearings, but try as you might, there is no slop or play in any direction - everything is tight. The springs look good, and the rear actually sits a little higher than the front does.

I also did not see any type of adjustment under there for camber, just toe, which appears to be fine.

Does anyone know what might be the cause and or solution? I would like to get this fixed before to much snow burries me.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Geologist

Geologist Member

2004 Ford Explorer EB
    Took it to the tire shop today, they did a free allignment check. Rear wheel camber is out of spec for sure.

They are ordering a camber adjustment kit, similar to this one
    http://www.iapdirect.com/product.php?productid=42082

Installed and 4 wheel alliignment $150.

4. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Active Member

City, State:
    Cary, NC
    2002 XLT, 4x4, 4.0 SOHC
    I'm glad I found this thread, tomorrow I am having my squatting Explorer looked at. That camber kit is pretty neat.

5. reansor

reansor Active Member

City, State:
    Baltimore, MD
    2003 Mercury Mountaineer
    2003 negative rear camber

I just bought a 2003 Mountaineer and I noticed it has some negative rear camber. It drives great and seems to have normal tire wear, and I've noticed that most similar Ford vehicles of this era seem to have about the same camber on the rear wheels. Did Ford design them like this?

6. Geologist

Geologist Member

2004 Ford Explorer EB
    I have owned three of these trucks, an 02, 03 and now I have an 04. All 4x4 with 4.0L V6's. The 03 is the only one that had this problem.