Rear-window defrost DEFEAT feature? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear-window defrost DEFEAT feature?

I think I know why. You leave the climate control on Auto all the time. I have mine on manual so it is always off unless the button is pushed. If yours is not on Auto then I don't know.

Page 137 of OM

Auto setting
In cold weather, the system is set to 72°F
(22°C). The heated seats are set to high
(if available, and selected to AUTO in the
information display). The heated rear
window and heated mirrors automatically
turn on.

That’s for Remote Start.

Setting your climate system to Auto while driving down the road should not turn on your Rear Defrost...that’s what the Rear Defrost button is for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That’s for Remote Start.

Setting your climate system to Auto while driving down the road should not turn on your Rear Defrost...that’s what the Rear Defrost button is for.

I know but how else do you explain theirs going on and off by themselves? I have a feeling it has something to do with the Auto setting and not just because. Mine do not come on and off by themselves and I don't use Auto.

I know but how else do you explain theirs going on and off by themselves? I have a feeling it has something to do with the Auto setting and not just because. Mine do not come on and off by themselves and I don't use Auto.

I use Auto and my Rear Window and Mirrors don’t heat up until I select Rear Window heat (on my 2015 & 2018)...not sure why some vehicles have their Rear Heat on all the time...sounds like some programming error/bug. I would definitely get it checked.

97FD5B3E-CD70-4DFB-856C-C96E83D4180B.png
B994ECEC-6696-41D4-8C7D-22C12A4DC82F.png

I think I know why. You leave the climate control on Auto all the time. I have mine on manual so it is always off unless the button is pushed. If yours is not on Auto then I don't know.

Page 137 of OM

Auto setting
In cold weather, the system is set to 72°F
(22°C). The heated seats are set to high
(if available, and selected to AUTO in the
information display). The heated rear
window and heated mirrors automatically
turn on.
Thank you very much for that. Never connected the dots.:) That would explain why my seats are at the 3 bars level every now and then without having used remote start. :thumbsup: Yes, my system is on 'Auto' all the time and I'll leave it that way. I'll keep an eye on this.

Peter

That could be the root of a problem. I'd cut that circuit not long after I knew of it. There's no good reason to pass current through the rear defroster unless there's known frost on it.

That was my point EXACTLY. I will see if changing settings [Auto heat, and medium-heated-seats] might not trigger the rear defrost. Thanks.

That was my point EXACTLY. I will see if changing settings [Auto heat, and medium-heated-seats] might not trigger the rear defrost. Thanks.
The rear defroster by itself is not going to impact your mpg in any significant way that you will be able to easily isolate and measure in day to day driving.

How much does running the defroster cost you in MPG?

What will impact your mpg is IF turning on the rear defroster (or an auto setting elsewhere) also activates the hvac system to remove moisture from the air, or activates some other system, that is a significant mpg drag.

Back