Rear Window Leak Repair With 3M Butyl Tape | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Window Leak Repair With 3M Butyl Tape

celsoglima

Reaction score
City, State
Hattiesburg, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT 3.0L
I have a 2000 Ford Ranger with the regular cab body style. The truck has a solid back windows/glass which developed a leak sometime ago. This past weekend I decided to take care of the leak and got a roll of 3M Butyl tape with the 5/16-in diameter.

I removed the whole assembly and cleaned everything up to remove the residue from the old tape. The new tape was correctly installed along the "track" on the window frame starting at the bottom center section of the frame. Everything was put back together, and all the nuts tightened very good and not overtightened.

I sprayed the truck with water and did not see any leak, so I thought I was good to go. Last night we had some rain, and this morning I noticed some water inside the truck. Although I was leaving for work, I grabbed a wrench, and to my surprise the nuts needed to be tightened some more. I didn't have time to spray water on the truck, but I will do it this evening.

This is the first time I have done this job, so I would like to know from the more experienced folks out there if that Butyl tape needs time to settle before the final tightening of the nuts, or if I overlooked something else during the install.

The 3rd tail light leaks on rangers may want to look there

I should have included a note on that. The third brake light is not leaking. I have been checking it. I put a sheet of paper towel in there as part of my troubleshooting while looking for the leaks.

Back