• Register Today It's free!

Rear Wiper motor interchange

vq5speed

Reaction score
City, State
1991 XLT Manual Locks
Year, Model & Trim Level
Stockton,Ca
Will a 96 Rear wiper motor bolt right in to my 91. Are the electrical connection the same or is it different.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK thanks

:salute:

vq5speed, just curious why you are replacing (have replaced?) the rear wiper motor. There is at least one thread on problems with them and how to repair them.

The spline bushing that holds the arm on the motor is broken off the motor. The motor actually has a smaller spline the so called 3/4" spline fits onto. I say so called cause its really 5/8" spline not 3/4".. I only discovered the two spline sizes cause I purchased a new arm thinking its going to fix my problem only to find out I bought the 1" spline that does measure 1". I have a 5/8" spline I suppose they call it a 3/4" spline. So since I now have both size arms I thought well why not get the 2nd gen motor since I now have the 1" spline I can use either motors.. My motor works fine just the spine bushing is broken

Ok, thanks. I was just wondering if it was the 'won't return to park position' problem. It does sound like the best solution would be to replace the complete motor assembly. Useful to know there are multiple sizes however...

amazon wasn't much cheaper. i will try a wr4ecking yard next, but then i get a used one and who knows how good it is?

The rear wiper motor on my '94 is getting "tired", by that I mean I replaced the wiper arm with a NOS OE arm and the blade with a Trico metal blade similar to the OE blade - the original arm was bent but the wiper worked. With the new arm, the arm will not start from parked but if I help it it goes; it will return, i.e., move left to right, on its own and will park correctly. Can the motor be repaired using the thread mentioned above or is motor replacement suggested?

Thanks in advance.

The rear wiper motor for a '93 is available on close out on Rockauto for $44.09 today.

Original rear wiper motor stopped working. Bought three remanufacured (Cardone) units, and all failed within the next year.

Finally went to salvage, and that unit has been working for the past six or seven years.

My suggestion would be to repair/rebuild the OEM unit.... to me, this was just another example of aftermarket = junk.

Good luck.

Back