• Register Today It's free!

Rear Wiper Motor

KingArt69

Reaction score
City, State
Scotia, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Hey All - new to the Forums...I'm really a Mustang guy - but my GF of just over 2 years has an 06 Explorer that I've been tinkering on for her. (I've been driving it a lot more lately - lol) Just replaced a Rear Power Door lock actuator yesterday, (Way easier than I expected) and now I'm moving on to the rear wiper that she says hasn't worked since the truck was about a year old. (Silly woman) Anyway, the thing simply doesn't come on. I hear the relay click like it's supposed to, however no movement whatsoever. Even tried to help it along by hand while the switch was on - no love.

So - I can't find a new motor anywhere except the dealer. And that's $279. Come on - the front is only like $75 at NAPA. How come the back is so expensive? Does anyone know where else to get this thing? What other years fit? There's one for an 04 on ebay for $50, brand new in the box. Is that part only 06 & up? Thanks all for your help...You'll likely be hearing from me more as I am going through this thing taking care of the stuff she's neglected...:}

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same issue with my '06 XLT. the dealership checked it and wanted $550 to replace it. I paid them $95 for the diag. Believe it or not, the cheapest I've found is Amazon. Motorcraft P/N# WM721 is $179 + S&H, new.

Yeah...............lots of bad rear wiper motors, including mine. It hasn't totally quit yet, so I'm lucky so far. I've seen other threads on this issue and that might be a source for a less expensive motor.

Hmm, a search of '06 rear wiper motors only yielded 4 hits. No other sources of a replacement, but I did see the TSB list.

Have you guys checked the local junk yard? Check to make sure that it is really the motor that is bad. It could be the gears in the assembly. If it is like the 92 then it is just a matter of taking the door panel off, removing the rivets and take the assembly off and repair it.

Hey: I have a 2006 and it was not the motor. I too looked at paying $450.00 to dealers and decided to wait. It started to work again after a 92F degree day in May 2013. I checked thru this Explorer site and saw a report with pictures on a 2002-2003 Ford Explorer where the guy took it apart and found grease and junk all over inside. He cleaned it up, re-lubed and put it back together and it works fine. Same with my 2006, but I was sure I was stuck with a bad motor. No bad motor, do not replace until you exhaust attempts of cleaning up what you got in there now. It worked for me. Go to the generation before ours and look at the entire picture show and verbiage, you can do it yourself with some expanded pictures from your friendly ford dealer parts guy.

You're right, the motor rarely is bad, it's the shaft that seizes from corrosion. The wiper motor that I originally replaced seized up a couple of years later. This time I took it apart and tapped out the shaft that was sezied and corroded. Cleaned it up and reassembled, and packed grease into where the shaft comes throught the glass (that's where the water was getting in,) and it's worked perfectly ever since. Every once in a while I check and make sure the grease pack is still in there.

I just replaced the one on our 06, really easy and got it for around $110 at Rockauto.com It has never worked since we got it in 09, finally this year I found a decent price and went for it. PS, fuse was fine, check that first.

My 06 seized and was not moving at all. Took the rear mechanism apart (not the motor) cleaned it and greased it, and works just fine. I was surprised it did not blow the fuse since I had it on, but it could not move.

Back