Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rearview Camera Problems

Discussion in '2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology' started by kkeb, June 6, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 914pete

914pete New Member

City, State:
      NJ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2014 Ford Explorer XLT
      Hi Ercole, I know its been a few years but this post is exactly what I might write because I'm experiencing the exact same problem with my 2014 XLT. It's VERY disappointing to know that my car is 3 years newer and the problem with the Ford back up camera still exists. We're even in the same area and probably use the same dealership LOL. Did you ever find a fix for the problem?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Jhamm86

Jhamm86 New Member

City, State:
      Cartersville, GA
      2011 Explorer XLT
      I have been reading the forum since I am having these issues with my 2011 Explorer XLT. My wife was rear ended last year and we figured that is what caused the camera to stop working. The body shop we took it to replaced the camera and fixed the wiring. The camera worked, but the lines and squares never started working again. I recently it started giving the “visit dealer” message more and more frequently. I tried the fuse pull and settings menu methods and successfully got the camera to come on. I am going to try and recalibrate the camera using forscan since I have a laptop I can use in my shop. If that doesn’t work I am going to try to get the local dealer to look at it. Thank you to everyone for all of the great info! I can totally use this at the shop I work at!

4. Querys

Querys New Member

2013, Explorer Limited
      I want to join this discussion.
      I have a stock RVC in my 2012 Explorer and its working fine. Only the guide lines connected to the steering angle are missalinged. If the steering is straight, the guidelines show right turn.
      Actually the guide lines are one full turn off target.

I tried BCM reset and all other BCM Service Procedures provided by FORScan. Nothing helped. Furthermore I tried a reset of APIM, ACM and of course the parking module. Needless to say that I had no success.
      The mentioned FORScan service procedure "BdyCM – Rear Camera Calibration” is not available in my FORScan version (which is the latest available version).
      Maybe someone had this issue in the past and a solution.

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      When a camera is replaced, it must be programmed to the vehicle in order for all features to work. Good luck.

Peter

6. ExPlat

ExPlat Elite Explorer

City, State:
      SoCal
      2016 Explorer Platinum
      My 2016 Explorer Platinum with front and rear cameras is at the Dealer right now with this problem. I get the famous 'Camera not available, see Dealer' window on the Sync screen and neither the front or rear cameras work. If I restart the car the cameras work again. I sure hope there is a error code set that they can read so something actually gets repaired.

Edit: With BOTH front and rear cameras not working when this happens it seems like the APIM would be the prime suspect, rather than having two cameras quit simultaneously, right? These cameras have the normal and wide-angle view, unlike the basic rear-only camera setup.

Last edited: September 14, 2018
    7. ExPlat

ExPlat Elite Explorer

City, State:
      SoCal
      2016 Explorer Platinum

As expected the cameras worked and there were zero DTC's so the Dealer didn't do anything.
      BUT: I reminded the Service Advisor about both cameras not working and it was possibly more than a simple camera going bad and that they had worked on the APIM about 18 months ago, he now has me scheduled for 9/24 for another look-see into this and other problems. At least I get a loaner each visit.

My 3/36 Bumper-to-Bumper warranty is over at the end of this month so I'd like to get any existing issues dealt with ASAP.

Last edited: September 15, 2018