Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Rearview Camera Problems

Discussion in '2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology' started by kkeb, June 6, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Ford's Premium ESP covers "Reverse Camera and/or Sensing System".

Peter

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
    Dearborn, MI
    Hi, folks!

You have PMs from me in your inbox; check 'em out and I'll do what I can to help.

Hi rnengnr,

You can always give a different dealership a try. If you need help locating one, enter your ZIP code here: http://www.ford.com/dealerships/locate/ As always, I'm happy to escalate you to your CSM; I'll just need a PM from you with your current mileage and a verification of your best daytime phone number.

Your navigation concern will be best addressed by our in-vehicle technology reps. Here's a link to their profile here on the forum: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=181992 Send them a PM and they'll help you out. :thumbsup:

Crystal

4. nwin

nwin New Member

2011 Ford Explorer4WD XLT

I stated my mileage in my original post just a few posts above. I'ts 43,500 at time of the original incident.

5. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    My mistake. I guess I didn't go back far enough. I see that Crystal is looking into what if anything can be done to help out. Good luck.

Peter

6. jahnny

jahnny New Member

City, State:
    Duluth, MN
    '11 Explorer Limited
    '11 Explorer Limited

Checked many, many forums and searched multiple times with not actually finding anything specific regarding the "actual" problem.

Bout 3 months ago, out of nowhere it now says "Backup camera unavailable. Please contact your dealership."

First the dealership looked at it and didn't know what it was and said they needed it all day to figure it out.

Pulled all appropriate fuses and battery disconnected to see if that would help, nothing.

Did the reset thru the radio and still same error message.

Pulled out the camera and it's getting power and ground and a reverse signal. Don't know what all the other multiple wires are for so didn't know what kinds of values they should see.

Anyone know what the "actual" problem is? Is it the camera? Some module or the main Sync unit?

I have a degree in electronics and a 17+yr affiliation with the industry so I have a pretty good idea. This has baffled me and no one seems to know what the problem is.

Thanks

7. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum jahnny.:wavey:
    I have merged your thread with existing one. You will see that others have had the same issue and in most cases the camera had to be replaced. This problem seems to be coming up more and more lately, especially with the 2011 models.

Peter

8. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I read a couple of threads on the guideline problems and some posts say it is a problem with the camera. There is another post, I'll copy here;

"NOTE: The rear video camera guidelines will not display if the rear video camera is not configured.

Carry out the video camera configuration using a scan tool under Body > RVC Configuration"

This is from post 94 in the thread;
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318879&highlight=guidelines

Peter

9. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    It's a little late now but I would have insisted on 2 keys when the vehicle was purchased. I would also be a little concerned that there might be another programmed key 'out there' somewhere. With only one original key you really had no choice but to have the dealer program the new one. Now if you get another spare, you should be able to do it yourself.
    Good luck.:thumbsup:

Peter

10. Sunny32_1967

Sunny32_1967 Active Member

City, State:
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    I am not sure if it had anything to do with IPOD but I got in to something similar two weeks ago when i bought my new ExSport 2015. I use to have a USB Flash in my Hyundai Santa Fe 2010, which I was using for music. It was FAT32 formatted. Once I got the Explorer, just inserting that flash drive use to drive MFT wacko. In addition the USB drive was never recognized. I could never imaging that USB Flash could be incompatible. My Navigation system will hang up and cause unexpected issues. Found out that my SANDISK was not compatible. Bought PNY Flash and copied the music and now MFT works like a charm.

11. BMETFerg

BMETFerg New Member

City, State:
    Fairfield Township, OH
    2011 explorer xlt
    Has anyone seen a backup camera look so washed out?

[​IMG]

Last edited: December 6, 2014
  12. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I'm guessing there should be a picture?
    If the lens is clean and the picture is washed out, you probably require a new camera. Many cameras on 2011 models seem to be failing now.

Peter

13. jahnny

jahnny New Member

City, State:
    Duluth, MN
    '11 Explorer Limited
    I replaced the camera and it works again. Problems now are that it won't zoom in like it used to and when you turn the guidelines on the screen used to turn with the wheel, no it only shows the red/yellow/green lines. I got the camera from LKQ online and they didn't know. They said to check with the dealer to see if the camera is the issue. Rather not waste my time with them since they didn't know what was wrong in the 1st place.

Is this replacement camera now defective or what is causing it not to do what the original one did?

14. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    16 Edge
    Pr-16 Exp Sport

Assuming it is the correct camera for your vehicle it still must be run through the dealer RVC, rear view camera configuration which is through the dealer IDS software

15. jahnny

jahnny New Member

City, State:
    Duluth, MN
    '11 Explorer Limited
    So there is more than 1 backup camera for the Sony system in the '11 Explorer that fits/plugs perfectly into the harness? Sounds like typical dealer B.S requiring a OEM camera to b programmed by a scan tool. Thanks Ford for being so considerate and wasting $ for no real reason!

Thanks for the info. I'll spend more wasted time with the dealer tomorrow on this issue. Just like when I told them about the power steering update, they told me my vehicle wasn't required to have one. Then a month later I received the paperwork from Ford telling me I do. I love dealerships. They are always on top of things and know what needs to be done!

• Like Like x 1
  16. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I would think that the camera is the same on all models but the software is not. If you don't have Active Park Assist then you don't get the curving lines. If you do have that APA option then your camera is set up to show them. In some cases, a camera replacement didn't show any lines at all. It has been posted before that a camera has to be set up by the dealer to correspond to the vehicle it is installed in.

Peter

17. jahnny

jahnny New Member

City, State:
    Duluth, MN
    '11 Explorer Limited
    Ok thank u. It does have APA so I'll check with the dealer.

18. nlopez2518

nlopez2518 New Member

City, State:
    PA
    2011 Ford Explorer
    How did you replace the camera? Is there a write-up on how to properly replace the camera?

19. jahnny

jahnny New Member

City, State:
    Duluth, MN
    '11 Explorer Limited
    Not sure about a write-up. Very easy to replace. Underneath the trim there are 4X 10mm bolts that need to come out, can easily see them when you look under the trim. Then on the liftgate there are 2 nuts that need to come off at the very end of the trim on the inside. Once you get that off there are some clips that hold it on so gently use a plastic pry tool to remove the trim/clips and pull the whole unit off. You can see how the camera comes apart once you take that trim piece off. There is a torx screw with a clip holding the camera into the housing and you can unclip the connector for the camera once you have that retaining piece out. If you are handy and have the tools it should be pretty simple to replace.

• Like Like x 1
  20. nlopez2518

nlopez2518 New Member

City, State:
    PA
    2011 Ford Explorer
    Ok thanks a lot. The dealership is trying to charge me $450 to replace the camera when the camera itself only cost 125 from them.

21. jahnny

jahnny New Member

City, State:
    Duluth, MN
    '11 Explorer Limited
    Yeah what a joke! Typical dealer B.S. It takes not even a half hour to do so should be a snap as long as you are careful not to pull too hard on the trim piece when removing it.