Rearview Camera Problems | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camera Unavailable 2011 XLT 44k

Hi there

My Explorer is just over 44k miles and the rearview camera has stopped working. Based on previous threads this is for sure a known issue so I am looking for some help and not wanting to pay for some thing FORD already knows is an issue. Any advice? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum vleemartin.:wavey:
Unfortunately unless you bought an ESP, I doubt that Ford will pick up the cost of a new camera. It seems that this issue is becoming more prevalent in the early model years. I suggest contacting Crystal (FordService) the Ford rep on this Forum. You can use this link; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
While this issue has been becoming a more frequent one, I don't think it is actually that widespread, yet.
Good luck.

Peter

Hi there

My Explorer is just over 44k miles and the rearview camera has stopped working. Based on previous threads this is for sure a known issue so I am looking for some help and not wanting to pay for some thing FORD already knows is an issue. Any advice? Thank you.

Hi vleemartin,

Welcome to the site! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can inspect. Be sure to come back and share the results of your visit; once you've had your dealer take a look, I'll be able to look into ways to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I finally got around to having my rear camera replaced. Was going to do it myself, but had to go in for an A/C condenser replacement (road hazard damage). The first day the dealer had the vehicle to diagnose the AC the camera was working for some reason, when I picked it up while they ordered parts it wasn't working, go figure. Anyway got it back Monday and the first thing I noticed was that the picture quality is noticeably sharper and brighter than before. I suppose that as the camera starts to fail, the sensor probably starts to lose capability occasionally producing a picture, but often failing to resolve enough light to display a picture.

I had them give me the old camera. I have opened it up before and didn't see any obvious failures (burned diodes, etc.). I think I will salvage the lens at least, if the ccd is failing, the rest isn't really useful.

I think there was an improvement made on the camera. The video display of my 2014 MKT is like HD compared to the one I had in my 2011 Explorer.

Peter

Hi TMack2300,

If this issue becomes more regular, I'd get it in front of your dealership so they can diagnose. Do you have a maintenance visit coming up soon? You can mention it to your tech so you don't have to make a special trip. Keep us in the loop; if you decide to get your dealership involved, let me know and I'll escalate this to your regional customer service manager. :thumbsup:

Crystal

well i dropped the XSport off at Bill Brown Ford in Livonia Michigan yesterday..
My horn went out if u can believe that and my rear back up camera had lines going through the screen so i took it in... Have not heard anything back yet... Will keep you all posted.

well i dropped the XSport off at Bill Brown Ford in Livonia Michigan yesterday..
My horn went out if u can believe that and my rear back up camera had lines going through the screen so i took it in... Have not heard anything back yet... Will keep you all posted.

Thanks for the update, TMack2300! If you need me to step in and assist, just send a PM my way. :)

Crystal

Thanks for the update, TMack2300! If you need me to step in and assist, just send a PM my way. :)

Crystal

Just got a call from Bill Brown Ford. They replaced the horn.... So thats fixed...
They told me they tried a software update to fix the back up camera problem but that did not work..
So they replaced the camera and now im all set...
so there you go.... A 2014 X Sport with 20k miles had a backup camera take a poop...

Just got a call from Bill Brown Ford. They replaced the horn.... So thats fixed...
They told me they tried a software update to fix the back up camera problem but that did not work..
So they replaced the camera and now im all set...

I'm glad to see that your dealer resolved all your concerns, TMack2300! Thanks for sharing your outcome with us. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I'm glad to see that your dealer resolved all your concerns, TMack2300! Thanks for sharing your outcome with us. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Your welcome!!

Crystal

Well bad news. Picked the x up and camera still has horizontle lines going through the screen. HEEEEEELP.... This is total BS

Well bad news. Picked the x up and camera still has horizontle lines going through the screen. HEEEEEELP.... This is total BS

Did you return to your dealership and show it to them, TMack2300? Send me your information in a PM and I'll alert your regional customer service manager as well. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Hi

Did you return to your dealership and show it to them, TMack2300? Send me your information in a PM and I'll alert your regional customer service manager as well. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Yes took it right back to dealer immediatly.
Bill Brown Ford Livonia Michigan.
What a joke to say its fixed and clearly it was not fixed at all.
A waste of time for the wife and I.

When a camera is replaced, they also have to set up the software for it. I don't know if that would cause the issue or not if they didn't do it. I think it had more to di with getting the proper guidelines than anything else.

Peter

When a camera is replaced, they also have to set up the software for it. I don't know if that would cause the issue or not if they didn't do it. I think it had more to di with getting the proper guidelines than anything else.

Peter

Could be Peterk9 i will keep you posted.

back up camera unavailable...

Hello everyone......I need help resetting my back up camera. I had a very slow crank yesterday indicating a battery issue. As I drove to have it checked everything was fine until I parked. As I backed in my rearview camera said "camera unavailable please contact dealership" I assumed that after I put in the new battleground would reset itself. It did not. This is also my third battery on this vehicle. I have tried to reset by unplugging battery for over an hour, pulling fuse 29 and doing a master reset. Anyone have any ideas?

Welcome to the Forum bobdog88.:wavey:
I think you may require a new camera. It seems that many of the 2011 models are now having them replaced.
I did a 'Search' and found this thread and merged yours with it. Good luck.

Peter

Update!! ....My back up camera is not working properly now.

hey guess what my 2012 Explorer Limited with active park assist has a backup camera issue also. NO GUIDE LINES! The X also has a very significant vibration on acceleration which ford say is NORMAL OPPERATION for the vehicle. (BS) and had a part replaced in the drivers seat that grinded as the seat went back. (its doing it again). It also has the issue with the car being put in park yet the computer says its not. Dealorship says they cant do anything about it unless they have it do it to them when they have it so they can diagnose it. I am sooooo fed up with this vehicle. OHHH an not to mention we think the warrantee just expired a couple months ago. AWESOME!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Assuming you have not had the rearview camera replaced, have you checked the setting to ensure the active guideline feature is Active? I recall one time that I had the same issue with my 2011 Limited and for whatever reason, the setting had changed.
As for the Shift to Park issue, there is an entire thread on that. Not sure if you have read it or not. The fix is to replace the shifter itself.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375462&highlight=shift+park
Good luck.

Peter

Back