Receiver w/ USB Input for less than $100? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Receiver w/ USB Input for less than $100?

... and just so you know- I'm fine with a SD card slot... didn't know they came with those! That's pretty cool... so I could go with THAT instead of the USB... I don't need it, but still pretty cool to have...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sony Xplod always starts war :) I had the Sony w/USB single din, but I switched it out for a double din JVC. I just wanted a double din back. The USB feature is nice, but try keeping track of the little device [forgot the name] that holds the music... I have a USB slot on the JVC too.

Yeah, that's a great point. Now that I know about SD cards, I'd prefer THOSE over the USB. Less intrusive, can keep it loaded without losing it. So not sure if that changes things any...
Again- if I can get a MUCH better deck for the $130 and lose the SD/USB functionality, I'd do that. I can always hookup my MP3 player for mass storage use (which is rare)...

I only use the iPod on mine... it's always there (unless I take it out to update it). No cd, unless I want... but no matter what stereo you add, you gotta get the right speakers - that's why the budget issue came up.

(But that Sony debate is no big deal. These are all good people w/differences about Sony)

(You probably wanna search Pioneer, JVC, Sony, etc... there's a lot out there (here). Good luck!

eyal8r,

I listened to low end Clarion, JVC, Pioneer and Sony units all patched through the same amps and speakers and found the Sony to sound quite a bit better to my ears. Keep in mind (all jluv's ranting aside) I didn't recommended Sony over higher end units. I recommended it over Dual and Clarion HUs at similar price points. Quality and longevity are obviously debatable, but that'll be the case with every unit at that price point.

If you are willing to skip USB and/or add a few bucks, then you are giving yourself a much better selection and will want to get into a store where you can hear the difference. In the end, audio is very much subjective the forums filled with too many arrogant, ranting windbags (including me). When it comes to sound quality, do yourself a favor. Ignore them all and just listen.

But who am I? Just an ex pro audio engineer getting old and deaf enough not to blow mobile audio out of proportion anymore :).

Well, but if it's been whittled down to only using it for MP3, why not just get an attachment to the factory h/u? Especially since eyal8r doesn't know if this vehicle will be retained. Why even invest in a new sound system?

Save these plans for when you know what to do...

Yeah, that's a great point. Now that I know about SD cards, I'd prefer THOSE over the USB. Less intrusive, can keep it loaded without losing it. So not sure if that changes things any...
Again- if I can get a MUCH better deck for the $130 and lose the SD/USB functionality, I'd do that. I can always hookup my MP3 player for mass storage use (which is rare)...

Not good to wait?

why not just get an attachment to the factory h/u? Especially since eyal8r doesn't know if this vehicle will be retained. Why even invest in a new sound system?

Maybe because...
the factory deck's display is burned out
:)

Of course, that can probably be fixed (link, link). but even if it can, it's still an 8 year old HU which is likely to have or develop other flaws soon.

Work on the factory and save some $$$. If he sees it's not repairable, then spend... and like he said, he might not keep the vehicle... It's seeming like spending on this vehicle is not worth it. But he says he's has the money to do an upgrade, just not at the moment. It's time to save and hold off for a little longer and get what you want later... no rush, the music is not going anywhere.

Best prices i've found are at sonicelectronix.com and they throw in installation parts for free on most stuff.

Dont bother with crutchfield there great for finding the one you want but they charge MSRP.

Crutchfield does price matching...

ok-
let me throw this at you guys... When I go to Best Buy and listen to the various decks- I barely notice any sound quality difference, if any at all. To me, it all sounds the same. That should tell you how picky and into the minute differences I am. So with that said, dropping $250+ on a deck is a waste of money to me. I need a deck ASAP, and am using factory speakers for now, if not forever. I just want to get the best bang for my buck, highest quality, etc.

I could drop out the USB requirement and just use my MP3 player if that means giving me a higher quality deck for my money. However, I haven't heard any reasons as to why a $100 or $130 deck is much different than a $250 deck by the same manufacturers. I see Alpine, Pioneer, JVC, Clarion, Kenwood, Blaupunkt all have lower AND higher priced units. What's the differences between them in general? Not trying to start a battle here- just trying to get why a $250 deck is soo much better than a $130 deck, especially for my purpose. I just need SOMETHING that works decently... and if it's got a SD slot or USB, that's even better.
Your thoughts?

If you're just looking for something to get you by for now, and you're willing to start over with the head unit again later if you ever decide to start upgrading stuff to build a decent system, and you aren't able to notice a difference in sound quality from one deck to another, then by all means just pick one with the USB that you want, with the most appealing appearance and easiest to use buttons and user interface.

fix your stock stereo and add the mp3 attachment...

ok-
let me throw this at you guys... When I go to Best Buy and listen to the various decks- I barely notice any sound quality difference, if any at all. To me, it all sounds the same. That should tell you how picky and into the minute differences I am. So with that said, dropping $250+ on a deck is a waste of money to me. I need a deck ASAP, and am using factory speakers for now, if not forever. I just want to get the best bang for my buck, highest quality, etc.

I could drop out the USB requirement and just use my MP3 player if that means giving me a higher quality deck for my money. However, I haven't heard any reasons as to why a $100 or $130 deck is much different than a $250 deck by the same manufacturers. I see Alpine, Pioneer, JVC, Clarion, Kenwood, Blaupunkt all have lower AND higher priced units. What's the differences between them in general? Not trying to start a battle here- just trying to get why a $250 deck is soo much better than a $130 deck, especially for my purpose. I just need SOMETHING that works decently... and if it's got a SD slot or USB, that's even better.
Your thoughts?

if you're keeping the speakers, just want to add the mp3 feature, fix your h/u and get an adapter.

x2

If you're just looking for something to get you by for now, and you're willing to start over with the head unit again later if you ever decide to start upgrading stuff to build a decent system, and you aren't able to notice a difference in sound quality from one deck to another, then by all means just pick one with the USB that you want, with the most appealing appearance and easiest to use buttons and user interface.

x2

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back