Receiver w/ USB Input for less than $100? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Receiver w/ USB Input for less than $100?

ok, got it. You mean't 'times' 2... not 'x2'. LOL.

Yeah- looks like I will. I'll go with that clarion- but have crutchfield match the sonicelectronix $110 price on it. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW- why don't any of the bigger name brands have any decks w/ USB or SD capability? Seems odd that they don't.

Also- I asked before, but, I'd really like to know. What's the difference in quality between these decks you are considering 'cheap' or low end, and the higher end decks for a higher price? For example- JVC, Alpine, Pioneer- they all have $100-130 decks. But they ALSO make $250+ decks. Take out the additional features (pre-amp outputs, amps/RMS, etc)- aren't they all made the same inside? Same manufacturer, same type of parts- just different features?

Also- little bit different question... what's the difference between a $100-130 Clarion, and a $100-130 Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, etc etc? Assuming they all have about the same features... what's the difference in overall quality, and why?

Thanks guys! You have been VERY helpful!

Choices :) I'll say that the high end market assumes you will be using an mp3 attachment and/or a satellite service.

Right- so what you're saying is that WITHIN THE SAME BRAND, the quality is all the same. It's just a matter of features from one deck at $100 to another deck at $250... right?

If that's the case, then, a $130 deck from Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC should be fine, as long as I'm ok with the 'lack' of features....

Correct?

I can't say...but typically the more you spend, the more powerful the unit itself.

right- power to me is an added 'feature'... but the overall quality of the parts inside are the same. At least, that's what I'm thinking...

quality of the parts can't be the same... a more powerful unit that produces higher clearer sounds will require more than standard equipment inside in order to do that. but this doesn't make the lower end cheap, it just means a high end Alpine is built with competition performance in mind, a low end is built for personal use, usually just basic listening AM/FM.

got it. So then what's the differences between individual brands then? Say Clarion, Sony, etc- and Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc? Assuming the same price points...

I don't know about the USB thing. I have never (and probably will never) use it. However, my W205 has the capability. It just means buying another module. Alpine is kinda bad about making everything an add-on.

As for the differences in the cheap stuff and the more expensive stuff, features is just one part of it. You typically have a difference in the number of inputs/outputs, and compatability with other add-on modules (think of aftermarket support for certain vehicles). Also, some of the more expensive units will have better processing engines, DACs, stuff like that. It gets above my head as far as the internal technical stuff, but if you are into SQ then it's something to pay attention to. Built in crossovers and eqs are a big deal too. Also, for some, a 4v or 5v output may be worth more than a 2v output, and a lot of power from the deck can be more appealing to some, although to me neither is a huge deal. Certain companies are known for their research and development, design and engineering, reputation, customer service, support, warranty, etc. So among cheap units, I like an entry level Alpine over a Dual with more features, for example. Spending even more just gives you a better foundation, and normally better sound quality. Just remember that you can have great amps and speakers, but the head unit is where it all begins. But as you've covered, none of this really matter for you at this point since you just want something to get you by for now, right? Another option may be to look for a nicer used unit so you can get more for your money. I know I've given away and sold cheap some of my older units. I don't have any left right now, or I'd make you a deal on something.

$$$ and features. the other equations are speakers and amps... i'm not an audio type, i only know from my personal usage, Kenwood, Sony and JVC are all really good.

If you are ordering stuff online, take note that some places are not authorized dealers of certain brands you might be looking at. Usually, they will have their own warranty. The manufacturer will pry not honor any warranty issues.

For any high dollar items I have bought online, it was from authorized dealers only. Some sellers on eBay are authorized, but you have to do your homework to find out for sure.

I have had one like the one in post #23 (the VR3 one) for about a year and a half now, and I have been very pleased with it's performance. It will play all CD's (standard and MP3) and it has a USB input which I have used my flash drives in, a MMC card reader, and an auxilliary input jack which I usually keep my ipod plugged into. They also have a new model for about $300 that has a 4-inch screen on the face, and plays DVDs and does GPS navigation as well!

Well, I never thought I'd say this, but... I just might try that VR3 thing from Wally World. I know it's low end, but, if i'm using factory speakers, and may not keep this truck very long- it just might be worth it for my usage. I'll go and check it out in person, maybe I'll change my mind after seeing/hearing it. Otherwise, it looks like that Clarion is the way to go. $110 isn't a bad deal, I don't think...

all of this for the mp3 feature?

Well, yeah. Sure beats having to burn files to a CD everytime I want to take something with me...or, dragging my MP3 player along, having to keep that charged and loaded.. only to have to fumble with it while I'm driving. Just kind of a pain. I don't like my mp3 player that much to begin with. Having a MMC or SD slot would be SOO much easier, in my opinion.

The Clarion FB275BTB seems to be decent. Offers all that, AND Blue Tooth included. Not too crazy about the looks of it, but... might be worth checking out. Anyone have input on this unit?

Well, I never thought I'd say this, but... I just might try that VR3 thing from Wally World. I know it's low end, but, if i'm using factory speakers, and may not keep this truck very long- it just might be worth it for my usage. I'll go and check it out in person, maybe I'll change my mind after seeing/hearing it. Otherwise, it looks like that Clarion is the way to go. $110 isn't a bad deal, I don't think...

I understand your reasoning for not spending more than $100 or so, since you are just needing something to get you by for now. But have you looked for other options in that price range? Have you even gone into a reputable car audio shop in your area to see what they have to offer? If you check some of the car audio forums, you might find a great deal. Some of them even list out local shop reviews for cities all over the country. Just an idea. Good luck with whatever you go with.

BTW- I'm seeing this 'Boss' brand come up a lot. I've never heard of it before- is it junk like the VR3?

Yes, I've gone to MANY shops here locally. THey're all WAY overpriced compared to online prices, and then you still pay tax and whatnot on top. Much cheaper online, meaning, I can get a better quality deck for the same money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Boss is subpar flea market junk.

Look elsewhere.

Back