• Register Today It's free!

recharging the A/C on a 97 SOHC?

BajaXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
San Marcos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 2WD
I have to re-charge the A/C my X with SOHC. The system cycles way too much although cold air output is fine.
I need to know which one is the LOW PESSURE connecter? I've done it on my jeep but not on the Xplorer.

also could this be the switch. It appears to be clicking on/off more often as the summer went on, thus indicating to me a need for a recharge of either oil/R134a or both.

I have the FSM, but it's vauge and doesnt have any pics for the A/C system describing it.

Thanks,
Doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's the port on top of the accumulator (the rusty black bottle covered in black foam on the passenger side). It's not the port on the driver's side by the radiator.

Actually, Robert got the right location but wrong item. It is on the accumualtor, not evaporator, on passenger side near firewall. This is your low pressure port.
Sounds like your system is low on freon and has a leak. The accumulators are known to do this because of the foam wrap that Robert mentioned. You can recharge and nurse it along like I'm currently doing or get the accumulator replaced.
The a/c cycling switch is also located right there at the accumulator also, if you have ac guages you can check the switch to see if it is working correctly. It should cycle compressor on at @43psi and off @23 psi.

Good luck

Dale

Thanks BOTH of you, I appreciate the quick respones, great board here!

BajaExplorer
PS
Don't turn the freon cans upside when you charge it. It puts liquid directly into the system - NFG
Put the freon can in a coffee can while charging (with luke warm water) and they will suck right in.

You also have to put a jumper wire on the wiring harness side of the AC cycling switch on the accum\drier

But you may already know that

You know, I completely had "accumulator" on my mind but then in walked my newly hired, extremely "hot" assistant and my mind was blank for a while after she left. I'll go back up and edit it.

Back