Recommended 5R55E modifications | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommended 5R55E modifications

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Fellows: I posted this on the '02-05 forum but thought it best to come over here and post it.

[Fellows: Would like to get recommendations about 2 things:

1) What are ALL the recommended modifications to the 5R55E transmission to "improve" its reliability? Our '02 S/T has a bit over 230k on it and has given us no problems (bought new). Knock on wood. I'm "planning ahead" for the day when this transmission does/may give us problems and will need rebuilding.

2) With the modifications above in mind who are the recommended vendors that do/can do these mods if I decide to exchange rather then rebuild our transmission? I realize that I can shop around locally but I'ld like know if there are national rebuilders that are well known for the product they turn out. The $$$ is not as much a factor as is getting a rebuild that should give me years of reliable service]

Specifically when it comes to the Valve Body are there recommend vendors of either new or rebuilt units that incorporate ALL the modifications that are recommended by the "experts".

The biggest thing people will tell you around here is to get an intercooler for your transmission, which is a matter of running new lines to a separate, smaller radiator you mount somewhere.

As for known aftermarket brands, I have heard good things about Jasper. Not specifically for Ford's trannies, but just in general. My uncle is an authorized Jasper seller and swears by them (probably a bit of a bias)

Shift Rite valve body. This cured a weak reverse problem, now shifts like a new transmission.

Valve bodies wear out. Replace the valve body before pulling the transmission. Easier and less expensive. If the problem is the same after replacing the valve body, put the new valve body in the remanufactured transmission if done by a local shop.

https://www.amazon.com/Shift-Rite-T...ft+rite+5r55e&qid=1553247715&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Back