red.EDDIE.4x4's Explorer Registry | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

red.EDDIE.4x4's Explorer Registry

Name: Tyler
Truck: 1993 Eddie Bauer Explorer

welp...this is my baby. got her in the fall of 2007 as a gift from an elderly woman at my church. she bought it right off the showroom floor when it was brand new, and she kept it in excellent condition. the only real driving she did was to church, grocery store, and to the flower shop (which she put a tarp in the back so no dirt would get in the carpet). when i got her she had a whopping 54k on the odometer! and of course the paint was in scratch less.

just after a fresh coat of black on the grill and the wipers.
IMG00703.jpg

aint she beautiful?
IMG00718.jpg

now comes lift time!

what its got:
Suspension/Brakes:
Rough Country 4 inch lift
1.5 inch coil seats
SOA
Warn Manual hubs
Sway bar disconnects
new brakes all around
disk 8.8 from an 01'
4.88 gears not locked

Eengine/Trans:
Rebuilt A4LD with shift kit
Manual mod for electric bw1354 (check my sig)
fully rebuilt 4.0- bored to 3.992, comp cam, new heads, new bottom end, smith bros push rods
motorcraft plugs
9 mm wires
TB mod/cable mod
air box mod into fender well
hi flow cat (straight thru)
flowmaster 40
2.5 inch side pipe.

Tires/Wheels
33x12.5x15 Firestone A/Ts
Cragar soft 8s

Lighting
4x100 watt floods on top
2x55 watt rear flood lights
red LED interior lights under all the seats
stockers...

Electronics
Dual 100 watt FM/CD/USB/iPod/Aux stereo
4 Alpine type S speakers
stock jbl amps
10" kicker comp
custom ported fibreglass stealth sub enclosure.
Cobra 19 III CB/PA
30 watt PA horn
6 switch, switch board in center console
2 pillar mount gauges, water temp and vacuum.
2 dash mount gauges, oil pressure and trans temp

Cargo
48" highlift (mounted in cargo area)
total of 60 feet of cable, chain, and strap
good ol' come-a-long:)
big cross lug wrench
shovel
spare tire (33x12.5 BFG M/T)
misc tools, sockets, and 1 3/8 wrench (under drivers seat within reach);)
gallon of 10w-30
few quarts of ATF
gloves
case of water bottles
change of clothes

shes my DD so thats about it...nothin too crazy:exporange...

liftin her up
IMG00744.jpg

IMG00743.jpg

IMG00754.jpg

IMG00769.jpg

IMG00778.jpg

IMG00780.jpg

IMG00803.jpg

IMG00831.jpg

roof rack time!
why pay nearly 500 for something when you can make it for 50!
IMG01071.jpg

IMG01078.jpg

IMG01105.jpg

IMG01205.jpg

the stereo system
had a nice alpine deck...got stolen due to the lack of security system. now im runnin the cheapie dual deck at wally world.
but heres my custom sub enclosure powered by the stock amps.
IMG01164.jpg

IMG01168.jpg

IMG01175.jpg

IMG01182.jpg

IMG01200-1.jpg

this is it for now. but ive got some big plans when mid july comes. ill let you guys see what im talkin about. ;)

Thanks guys! :salute: happy trails.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

got thoe drag links on...looks fine and i aligned it pretty close by myself in the ol driveway. it doesnt pull to any direction, but my steering wheel is at a 90* angle...:D i think ill convert the tie rod ends to heim joints when i can find the correct size, any tips?
IMG01634.jpg

the angle of the rod end seems a little extreme...which is why heims are needed i believe.
IMG01635.jpg

also got the tire mounted for free at Hibton tires today. :thumbsup:
IMG01638.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i finally got my welder back after i let a buddy of mine use it for "a few days", then it turned into a few weeks... and i got this little doo-hicky done. inspired by LD50 and all his awesome low budget mods.
IMG01641.jpg

then i went the extra mile with a flag...:D i wanted a bigger one but this was the best i could find. cost me a whole $1.99 at toys R us...
IMG01642.jpg

(and i decided to say F it to the steering stuff)
more to come!

did you ever take your ex off road with just the 4" RC lift im looking at getting it but want to be able to use it as well and i was told it would not hold up well

also what size material did you use to make your roof rack and how did you bend it

did you ever take your ex off road with just the 4" RC lift im looking at getting it but want to be able to use it as well and i was told it would not hold up well
yes i take my truck off road about every weekend to various places. and its also DD so it sees some miles. i believe it has held up well and i have only one complaint, the springs sag very badly after about 5 months. so im switching to the skyjacker 6 inch springs, which i expect to sag down to about 5 or 5.5

the only thing you need to watch out for is the bump stops, PUT THEM ON! or else you will end up with a hole in your front diff. as far as a cheap weekend lift goes i would say its about as straight forward as you can get. also its good on the wallet.

the material i used was 3/4" hot rolled square tubing. and for the center i used 1" hot rolled square tubing. i cant much give you a place or price because ive got a cousin who owns a machine shop and had it just layin around (they dont use much tubing) and just gave me about 40 feet of 3/4 inch and about 20 feet of 1 inch. to make the bends i just made cuts in the metal till i could bend it properly.
IMG01068.jpg

then welded up the seams and ground it down to perfection!

also i bit the dust...FA600 is here, just comparing its size to a nalgene bottle. also got a monster D link shackle from a friend of mine. holds 18 tons. =]
IMG01684.jpg

sure thing.
I used some old shock extra parts and some little plates i made. they are 3/16th steel. about 2 inches long and a 1/2 or 5/8 wide. i drilled and tapped a hole in the middle (cant remember what the size is, but im wanting to say 3/8x16) i need to add a washer under the silver tube and between the rails.
how it holds is that it clamps down on the lip of the rail. right now its only holding at one lip. im not very concerned about it because it seems really sturdy, and ive been driving around with it like that for about 6 months.
IMG01685.jpg

not too thick. But it was strong enough for me to stand on it the other day. I'll take the calipers to the walls tomorrow and let you know.

calipers say .078" wall thickness

ok thanks

do you have a photo of how you routed the wires for the lights

i do not have any pics at the moment. however, i will take some and post them tomorrow after work.

on a side note...i just got my 4.88 gears back from Youngs 4X4. they are a little self owned shop here who have great quality and since they only have 2 shop guys (including the owner) they re-geared both my axles for $265 and welded my axle tubes to the cast casing. not too shabby i dont think. and the turn-around time was incredible! i dropped them off last night at 6:30PM...got a call today at 1 PM from them saying they were done.:eek: and i picked them up tonight at about 7. lets have a looksie....:D
the little D35....need to throw a trac lock or aussie in it sometime...prob as a winter project.
IMG01700.jpg

welded axle tubes. :thumbsup:
IMG01703.jpg

the 8.8 also with 4.88s (also open diff, Detroit to come when the wallet and girlfriend allow:rolleyes:)
IMG01702.jpg

my swagger (stock:p:) calipers...
IMG01704.jpg

yummm. that's quite a deal you scored.

ok thanks

do you have a photo of how you routed the wires for the lights

here ya go.
IMG01707.jpg

radioshack disconnect, need to upgrade to waterproof one
IMG01706.jpg

ghetto wiring job. the orange/red is rtv to hold it in place, then it goes thru the sheet metal into the cab and down the A pillar. then thru the firewall to relays and the battery.
IMG01708.jpg

anything else?

not at all, im glad to share ideas.
ive copied plenty of people...:p:

nice work, i like all the toy your friends have for you to play with, is that your corvette in the back ground in your first couple pictures?

nice work, i like all the toy your friends have for you to play with, is that your corvette in the back ground in your first couple pictures?

Hey thanks but um...Toy my friends have to play with? I'm confused...
And the vette is a '72 stingray. It's all original unrestored. But no it's not mine, it's my dads, he's is the 2nd owner. It's pretty quick for stock, it's way fun screeching the tires around turns. The rear end is also really to lose if your not paying attention...

went wheelin yesterday with some buddies, (toyota and a jeep)
i went into a little mud bog and drove on out fine. in heard a PSH! PSH! PSH! sound in the grass when i was driving past and my heart sank.
IMG01718.jpg

slashed a sidewall somehow in the mud. im assuming there was either a sharp rock or a chunk of metal. glad i found that 33" BFG MT at the salvage yard.
IMG01719.jpg

to make matters worse...when i went to put it on the front pass side. it wouldnt fit! the hole in the center of my stock spare tire wheel wasnt large enough to fit over my warn hubs, whats up with that!?
so i had to swap and put the spare on the rear pass side and take the orginal wheel and put it on the front pass side. long story short it was a pita.
so ive got a set of maxxis 35x12.5.15s bighorns on the way.
then ill start my build part 2!

found some pics from yesterday,
37506_1530027687758_1146690355_31557874_3300538_n.jpg

37506_1530027367750_1146690355_31557866_8321730_n.jpg

had to pull out the yota...figures
37506_1530027647757_1146690355_31557873_5535717_n.jpg

37506_1530027407751_1146690355_31557867_5309780_n.jpg

37506_1530027487753_1146690355_31557869_8023109_n.jpg

Back