Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Red Rock canyon off of 395 in Southern Ca.

Discussion in 'Land Use Issues' started by Big Bear Bob, September 25, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Big Bear Bob

Big Bear Bob Active Member

City, State:
      Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 XLT /01 Dodge 1500 4X4
      I just have a few questions about the accessibility of the area now. I know a few yeas ago they shut down some of the trails and it used to be a pretty cool spot for 4X's and most other OHV's including allot of bikes used to play there.

Since it's an hour and half or two from almost anywhere in Southern Ca. if anyone has any info, it might be somewhere we should consider for doing a run there.

I know it's still an active mining area, and people go out there to search for rocks and minerals, and there is some flat out great geology in the area.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jobunn

jobunn Elite Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Santa Clarita, CA
      '99 Sport 4x4
      I'd be up for it.

And as back-up spots, we could do runs at Dove Springs off road area or Jawbone Canyon.

We need to call the authorities up there (park ranger, etc) and see what is legal in Red Rock.

I have seen bikes in Red Rock Canyon when I drive by on my way to Mammoth.

4. Big Bear Bob

City, State:
      Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain
      Great I've heard of Jawbone Canyon, and wouldn't mind checking it out. But I will male the calls tomorrow to see what is open. I know there used to be all sorts of jeep trails up and around there because of the mining, and for rock collectors this could be sort of a double header

Last edited: September 26, 2002
    5. Big Bear Bob

City, State:
      Ken Cooke said he would be in for the 12th, but that Red Rock is too far, we need to find something closer. Since nothing is set and we are just trying to get a run together down in the Southland I'm open to discussion on this matter to try and find an area that we can all enjoy without spending 8 hours driving. My memory was that red Rock was on the 395 just after the turn off to the Kern from the desert about two hours out of L.A. but that was a long time ago and be too far, especially for a one day run.

Lets come up with a few ideas and try to get it this settled in the next few days so those of us interested have time to prepare

Last edited: September 26, 2002
    6. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

1996 xlt
      im down, give me a time and place (this will give me some innetiative to finish my cb)

7. jobunn

jobunn Elite Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Santa Clarita, CA
      '99 Sport 4x4
      I'd be willing to do some of the Big Bear trails by you BBB. Otherwise we could do Rowher flats in Soledad Canyon off the 14 Freeway, or Hungry Valley OHV area off the I5. That area is full of 4x4 trails.

Jawbone from what I remember is full of easy to moderate trails, good stuff for beginners and slightly modded rigs like mine. But there are some other areas near there I know that have difficult trails. It's an off roaders paradise.

But, yes this would be better left for an overnight trip.

8. Big Bear Bob

City, State:
      Last edited: September 27, 2002