Regular Scheduled Maintenance Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Regular Scheduled Maintenance Question

hellcat12345

Reaction score
I have a 2012 with almost 6K miles. I have been busy and have not thought of regular maintenance. Is there a document that says what should be done at what miles? Do I really need to have this done at a Ford dealer or could I go somewhere else?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2012 with almost 6K miles. I have been busy and have not thought of regular maintenance. Is there a document that says what should be done at what miles? Do I really need to have this done at a Ford dealer or could I go somewhere else?

Thanks!
There is a Scheduled Maintenance Guide in your Owner's Guide. There is also a Scheduled Maintenance Log in which the dealer can put his stamp and required info. I suppose you can get it done elsewhere but I have always have my maintenance done at the dealer to avoid possible problems later on. Don't forget, the dealers make their money on maintenance etc. more so than on vehicle sales.
If you are getting anything done elsewhere, make sure you keep all paperwork since the dealer will not have a record of it in their computer system.

Peter

Not much needs to be done.

Going from memory:

Oil- about 10,000 miles
Cabin filter- 20,000 miles
Seat Filters- 30,000 miles (if equiped)
Trans Fluid- 150,000 miles
Plugs- not sure, 100,000 miles??
Coolant- not sure, 100,000 miles??

Searched first and came up dry. Ford says my 17 Explorer Sport needs it's first maintenance at 7,500 miles. Does anyone know what this entails? I have been unable to find a definitive list in the Owner's Manual, on the Ford website, or Google.

Who told you that you need service at 7500? I am at ~8k and the only thing the dealership told me I needed to do at the 5k oil change was the 10k oil change.

Take a look here, the next recommended service is at 10k:

https://owner.ford.com/tools/accoun...ance-schedule.html#/ymm/2017/Ford/Explorer/31

Here's what happens at your 10k checkup:
  • Rotate and inspect tires; check wheel end play and turning noise
  • Change engine oil and replace oil filter when indicated on vehicle message center or every 12 months, whichever occurs first
  • MEMO: Gas engine; Up to 6.0 quarts of oil (IOLM)
  • Inspect cooling system and hoses
  • Inspect complete exhaust system and heat shields
  • Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system
  • Inspect and lubricate all non-sealed steering linkage,ball joints,suspension joints,half and drive-shafts and u-joints
  • Perform multi-point inspection

The dealership when I purchased the car...and 7,500 is on my window sticker. I was wondering if they had modified it for the 17 Sport.

This is the first mention I've heard of a 5k oil change too...they said 7500 for that as well.

The dealership when I purchased the car...and 7,500 is on my window sticker. I was wondering if they had modified it for the 17 Sport.

This is the first mention I've heard of a 5k oil change too...they said 7500 for that as well.

Another unscrupulous dealership who thinks their marketing of service packages is better for your vehicle than the Engineer who set up the algorithm in the Oil Life Monitoring System.

Follow the OLMS like the engineers who built the engine in your Sport recommend.

Remember dealerships consider all the service billing they get after the sale as pure profit.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimhen...-make-the-most-money-off-of-you/#7b3274661e6f

Yep, dealership trying to generate $. As long as you change your oil when the OLM comes on your warranty will stay intact.

Yep, all of the Ford dealerships here for my EX and other vehicles recommends an oil change at 5K miles.
Follow the factory's recommendation and not the dealership.
Also, if you want to save some money, you can skip all of the "inspections" as they do not void warranty.

I pay $100 Canadian every six months for scheduled oil change and general inspection/rotation/etc. And I get a nice car wash with it. I'm sure there will be bigger service intervals in the future. Here's the link for the scheduled maintenance. You can adjust the sliders for your engine and driving habits.

https://owner.ford.com/tools/accoun...ance-schedule.html#/ymm/2017/Ford/Explorer/31

"Nice" car wash with complimentary swirls...no thanks.
I had to pay over $800 for paint correction and Opti-coat; as they dealership wrecked my paint during PDI!

What are these "sliders" you mentioned??
Sorry, just a few options before you see the schedule -- mainly picking the car and your mileage, driving conditions, etc.

Change oil whenever you like. It seems like today there is no rhyme nor reason to when you change oil. 3,000, 5,000, 7500, 10,000, 15,000, it's all good!

Guys will tell you they run Mobile 1 for a year or 20,000, whichever comes first!

For what it's worth, my dealer suggested an oil change every 6 months, but the scheduled maintenance says every year (or 10,000 miles)

Change oil whenever you like. It seems like today there is no rhyme nor reason to when you change oil. 3,000, 5,000, 7500, 10,000, 15,000, it's all good!

Guys will tell you they run Mobile 1 for a year or 20,000, whichever comes first!

I'm that guy and have been doing it for years. Mobil 1 and an OEM filter and you're generally good. Now, I never get close to 20,000 miles. Usually it's in the 8,000 - 11,000 per annum range. Oil changes, especially at the dealer can be a racket. However, there is no doubt that frequent oil changes offer psychological benefit to the vehicle's owner.

Don't want to play roulette with my extended warranty on my new car. The way I'm playing this is the dealer gets to do absolutely everything including all oil changes, so if anything ever goes wrong, there won't be any problems. Even if that means I pay a little more. So far my dealer has been really great on the service front (Coastal Ford in Burnaby, BC).

"Nice" car wash with complimentary swirls...no thanks.
I had to pay over $800 for paint correction and Opti-coat; as they dealership wrecked my paint during PDI!
At my dealer they hand wash all the vehicles. Haven't had any issues in the 7 years I've been having my vehicles washed.

Peter

At my dealer they hand wash all the vehicles. Haven't had any issues in the 7 years I've been having my vehicles washed.

Peter
I am glad that you are fully satsified with your local dealership.
You may think you don't have any issues, but if you look closely; I gurantee there are swirl marks on the paint of your EX; much more prevalent on a black vehicle.
The apprentice making min wage at your dealership knows nothing about paint care and is not a detailer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am glad that you are fully satsified with your local dealership.
You may think you don't have any issues, but if you look closely; I gurantee there are swirl marks on the paint of your EX; much more prevalent on a black vehicle.
The apprentice making min wage at your dealership knows nothing about paint care and is not a detailer.
They wash it the same way that I do. The person that does most of the washing is not a young apprentice. She has been there at least since I began dealing there 7 years ago. I'd never get a black vehicle and with the light colours I do get, swirls are hard to see and are really not a concern to me since I don't keep my vehicles for more that 3 or 4 years. I've never had a car detailed and wouldn't expect that kind of result from a free wash. Like you said, I'm fully satisfied.:)

Peter

Back