Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Release date for new MFT?

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by RandyH2, July 7, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. RandyH2

RandyH2 Active Member

City, State:
      MI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '11 Limited AWD
      Does anyone have an estimated or planned release date for the new MFt software?

I have to take mine in for fan replacement and am hoping to get the new software too.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 1995E

1995E Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Maryland
      95 + 11 Ex both XLT
      I'd rather Ford take their time on this new "fix" to get everything right instead of rushing another crappy update that creates more bugs. At this point, I'd be amazed if it actually did fix the problem. I'm expecting the worse though.

4. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
      Dearborn, MI
      I’ve heard that an update is nearing release but no official date yet. I was told it will be released before the end of July and I’ll post here when I hear an exact date.

I know the SYNC engineering team is working very hard to resolve these bugs and improve the MFT experience. Making sure you’re happy with your purchase is the highest priority.

Cory

5. hannibalhector

hannibalhector Member

City, State:
      Bronx, NY
      2011 XLT
      I am actally more concerned with interface fixes and performance boosts than actual glitch fixes. If MFT worked half as well as an aftermarket system, I'd be ecstatic.

6. dco43054

dco43054 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      cmh
      16 XLT
      Appreciate that

I realize you are only the CS Rep assigned to try to assist the masses, but really Cory? Really?

I in no way can believe that with all the problems experienced by owners that none of these manifested themselves during testing. This was clearly a case of rushing a product to market to make the date. Someone overpromised and underdelivered and I really hope they are nowhere near the development team that is working on the updated software.

Coincidentally, I just received the JD Powers survey in the mail yesterday. Gosh, that's a long bugger. And no online way to complete it. I guaranty I will complete it objectively based on my personal experience. In summary, I love many things about the vehicle, and HATE the buggy, kludgy nature of MFT.

7. hannibalhector

hannibalhector Member

City, State:
      Bronx, NY
      2011 XLT
      I can easily see Ford dropping its partnership with MS over this... they should team up with a company that specializes in car audio/video systems eg. Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.

If MS can do a total overhaul of the interface of their gaming console. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do it for the Sync system. I wish their programmers logged onto these forums in addition to just the Customer relations reps.

8. RandyH2

RandyH2 Active Member

City, State:
      MI
      '11 Limited AWD
      Blaming Microsoft is always easy, and to be honest they have certainly earned it over the years. In this case though I think much of the blame belongs to Ford. My understanding is that Microsoft designed the underlying system but Ford contracted with some other company (starts with a B, I think) to do the user interface called My Ford Touch. Without seeing the "naked" Sync system it is hard to know for sure.

I have my fingers crossed that the new software will be better written/compiled (so it runs faster on the existing hardware) with better interface, etc. I REALLY hope they had some outside testers use the system under careful, unguided, observation to see any stumbles and design problems. If they had taken the time to do that with the existing system I believe they would have caught a lot of problems.

9. jrmexplorer

jrmexplorer Well-Known Member

2011 Limited
      You are correct - the company name is B-Square: http://www.bsquare.com/

Who according to their website are supposedly experts at this. They even brag about MFT on their website

-J

10. RandyH2

RandyH2 Active Member

City, State:
      MI
      '11 Limited AWD
      From the B-Square website:
      "Bsquare integrated several new technologies for the project, including:

Custom User Interface: Bsquare implemented the entire user interface designed by Ford, including integration of Adobe Flash, to provide state of the art graphic and multimedia capabilities. It also integrated several other technologies including speech recognition, navigation, media, climate controls and phone for a seamless user experience.

Single Point of Navigation (Voice and Touch): Bsquare combined applications from other Ford partners into its customized user interface to provide a single point of control, whether driven by speech commands or a touch screen."

So it sounds like Ford designed the interface and Bsqaure implemented it. I wonder if they tried to make fixes or if they were simply told to "do this".

11. 1sttimeford

1sttimeford New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, GA
      2011 Explorer Limited 301
      I believe the initial design was done by IDEO in conjunction with Ford

http://www.ideo.com/work/myford-touch/

I like the design but something is clearly unstable under the covers. It doesn't matter if the root blame goes to Microsoft or Adobe or B-Square. It was Ford that brought it all together and made the deliberate decision to deliver something that was not stable.

Also, if I was SiriusXM, I'd be pretty miffed at Ford. The slowness and instability of the MFT when trying to use SiriusXM is a poor showcase for their product. The surest way to see the black boot screen under v2.8 is to attempt to browse SiriusXM channels. And the channel lineup fiasco from 5/4/11... ridiculous. I wonder how many people will allow their SiriusXM subscription to laps after the trial period just because they dont want all the issues that come with trying to use it.

12. RandyH2

RandyH2 Active Member

City, State:
      MI
      '11 Limited AWD
      Completel agree on the Sirius issues. Hopefully the new system will be MUCH better for browsing.

Cory- is Ford going to release anything official (or unofficial) about the new software prior to it being available? Sample screens, list of fixes, availability date, etc?

13. JohnnyDop

JohnnyDop Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      2012 Limited AWD
      Adobe Flash

Now it makes sense why there are so many crashed and glitches.

Was Adobe Flash really necessary for the graphics animation? Flash is a processing power hog and prone to glitches. What were they thinking? :thumbdwn:

Where's Apple when you need them.

14. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      VanBC/GoodyearAZ
      2017 Explorer SPORT
      This news story is interesting........kind of a Ford OnStar service

Ford Trials Complimentary Live Operator Assistance for SYNC Services; Free Business Search and Address Entry Support

• Ford is beta testing an Operator Assist feature for the cloud-based network of SYNC® Services, giving all registered Services users complimentary access to a live operator for help with business searches and address entry for turn-by-turn directions
      • About 70 percent of calls to SYNC Services are for business searches and/or directions
      • SYNC Services provides access to more than 14 million business listings

Ford SYNC Forum – Getting directions or finding a business using SYNC® Services has become even easier thanks to a new feature called Operator Assist that allows users to instantly connect with a live person.

Operator Assist is only a voice command away, making it part of the growing list of cloud-based driver aids offered by Ford Motor Company. The new feature provides customers with the ability to safely connect with a live person who can quickly access information databases to help drivers get where they’re going.

Operator Assist is currently in a beta test trial phase and being offered as a complimentary feature for registered users of SYNC Services. No additional software or hardware is needed.

“Ford is committed to continuously improving the ownership experience and delivering the level of connectivity that customers want,” said Doug VanDagens, director, Ford Connected Services Solutions Organization. “By leveraging what’s available in the cloud, we continue to innovate and improve our customers’ experience without having to touch the vehicle or inconvenience the owner.”

How it works
      Cloud-based, on-demand, voice-activated SYNC Services provides access to information about traffic, news, sports, weather, horoscopes, stock quotes, and movie listings along with business searches and turn-by-turn directions.

Operator Assist is available for the directions and business search functions of SYNC Services. Seventy percent of all SYNC Services calls are for business search and directions, said David Gersabeck, product manager, SYNC Services.

Using advanced vehicle sensors, integrated GPS technology and comprehensive map and traffic data, the SYNC Services automated system delivers turn-by-turn directions to the user. Further, with access to more than 14 million business listings, SYNC Services’ automated system directs users to the businesses they seek.

Now, with Operator Assist, at any time during a business search or directions interaction between the user and the SYNC Services automated system, the user can say, “Operator,” confirm his or her request to speak with an operator, and connect to a live operator. This system gives Ford customers the choice of interfacing with a live operator or utilizing the interactive voice recognition system.

“Our customers asked for additional assistance in situations where their voice request was not understood,” said Gersabeck. “If you want the most reliable user experience, enabling alternative methods for customers to access information will increase success, which is where Operator Assist factors into the equation.”

In the event a user says an address or business that the automated system can’t identify, the user will be prompted with the option to connect to a live operator. If the user confirms he or she would like to speak with an operator for further assistance, the system automatically connects the user to the live operator.

When a live operator assists with a business search, the user can choose to receive turn-by-turn directions to the business, receive a text message with name, address and phone number information about the business (applies to certain phone carrier networks), or be directly connected to the phone number of the business.

When a live operator assists with address entry, the user can have the directions sent directly to the vehicle.

“We want Ford SYNC Services customers to have the peace of mind that comes with knowing they can get where they’re going or want to go,” said Gersabeck. “Being able to connect with a live person at any time contributes to that peace of mind.”

The live operator services are provided by MyAssist, a leading live assistance and telematics service company for individuals and businesses based in Stevens Point, Wis.

Ford Sync Forum Team.
      Dearborn, Michigan.
      Hometown of Ford.

15. wheeling

wheeling Member

City, State:
      Austin, TX
      I see this as a bad news, indicating that there is no easy and quick fix for the problems with MFT and navagation. Any other thoughts?

16. RandyH2

RandyH2 Active Member

City, State:
      MI
      '11 Limited AWD
      I didn't interpret it that way at all- but that's just me. I think this is the answer Ford has to OnStar.

17. JDraper

JDraper Somewhat Functional Moderator Emeritus

Media:
      City, State:
      McVeytown, PA
      '18 XLT
      Out making phones that have limited reception when you hold them by the case...

18. sginut

sginut New Member

City, State:
      Washington DC Area
      '11 Bordoux Red LTD
      I've had many opportunities to play with Windows Embedded and Windows Embedded Automotive. Regardless of their perceived past history with PC products, these are rock solid OS components when the hardware is well designed and doesn't change. Drivers are the #1 cause of system malfunction (outside of hardware failure) and unless you have full control over each of the hardware components (such as what Ford has mostly done), your opening up a large list of possible failure vectors that cannot be thoroughly tested. The piece(s) that are failing on us are not the underlying OS but the interface, thermal design, and the chosen radio chipset/driver combination... and ultimately the systems integrator Ford chose to use. Need a good example... disable the WiFi radios and unpair all bluetooth devices then perform a hard system reboot... you'll be surprised how well things work and fix most (non hardware or external device-related) problems you may be having. Looking at the performance counters (don't even ask) there appears to be a memory leak in both the bluetooth stack and the gui engine combined with excessive CPU utilization and internal thermal-based scale downs that build over time. But that's just my $0.02 after growing tired of waiting for an official answer.

19. gdecamp

gdecamp Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      11 X Limited AWD
      That's what I was thinking! LOL

Seriously have no idea what that means but hope it can be fixed!! :D

20. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      VanBC/GoodyearAZ
      2017 Explorer SPORT
      Although I only understand about 60% of your explanation I still believe the Ford SYNC Team has an obligation to field test interfacing peripheral devices with WiFi on, smartphones, other BT devices connected, and HVAC system fully operational. Everyone knows you cant just bench test software, you have to release beta versions to a small controlled group in the field and then get their real world feedback.

All the problems we are experiencing should have been discovered last year before the production release.

Asking for SYNC MFT to work with an iPhone (the most popular smartphone in the world) isn't asking for the obscure. My wife's 2011 GMC Terrain OEM Bluetooth system is much less sophisticated and connected my iPhone once and it never dropped again. It switches between mine and my wife's iPhone seamlessly.

There are many people on this forum with the software background capable of providing constructive feedback to the SYNC Team. Yes, it may require the need to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) but the benefit to the SYNC Development Team would be huge.

21. hannibalhector

hannibalhector Member

City, State:
      Bronx, NY
      2011 XLT
      As I have mentioned in other threads. I am pessimistic that MS/Ford/Bsquare/whoever else had a hand in rolling out this abomination we call MFT, will actually spend time fixing our problem instead of just releasing something better in the newer models. What I would be more optimistic about would be for some Ford owners/programmers to possibly come up with a customized system similar to a cooked ROM that we'd flash our mobiles with. Something we could easily throw on a usb stick and flash our systems to a leaner meaner version of MFT. I would happily donate a good chunk of change to the cause.

22. Vic

Vic Active Member

With all due respect, extrapolating your single experience with a GMC is a bit simplistic. I can find many examples of that same GM platform that have Bluetooth problems, and keep in mind the Bluetooth protocal in the Terrain/Equinox is a significantly older/simpler protocal.

As for the iPhone, Bluetooth has long been an issue with Apple products, way before MFT. See the ZDNet link below titled "Add Bluetooth to the iPhone 4 list of woe"

Sorry, just keeping it real man.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/bluetooth-problems-iphone-99703/

GM Bluetooth Problems with iPhone

Has anyone here experienced problems with bluetooth connectivity with a new iPhone 4?

My situation: Bought a 2011 Equinox with bluetooth... which worked fine with my old blackberry and my other cell phone. Upgraded my blackberry to an iPhone 4 and now I have problems with connectivity between the car bluetooth and the iPhone 4. Specifically, while the device will "pair" with the vehicle - whenever it receives or makes a phone call it attempts to connect for a period of time and then says "Unable to place call with your bluetooth phone" -- but on the iPhone the call still went through and it still says it's connected on the phone. So basically the bluetooth is unable to "transfer" a phone call to the speakers after it's connected, but it can make the call dial out -- if that makes sense. If I change the phone from "Your Vehicle" to the local phone call I can hear them talk, but I can't get it to work with the car's bluetooth system.

I have tried this on a new 2011 GMC truck as well and have the same problem with the iPhone 4 and bluetooth.

So the problem has to be with either the GM firmware of the bluetooth system for all 2011 vehicles doesn't work with the new iPhone4, or a problem with the iPhone itself

--------------------------
      http://www.droidforums.net/forum/thunderbolt-tech-support/134558-bluetooth-problem-gm-cars.html

Bluetooth Problem with GM Cars

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm having trouble keeping the bluetooth connected with my 2011 Camaro. It would connect for 30 secs then disconnect for 2 mins or so then reconnect and disconnect again after about 30 secs. Anybody know why this is happening? Thanks

03-26-2011, 05:52 PM #2
      bgrodski
      Droid Newbie

I am having the same problem with my 2011 Chevy Equinox. Also, when it WAS connected, I could not get the voice dialer to work. If you go to gm.com/bluetooth you will see a list of compatible phones. There are several droid phones listed (not mine, the Thunderbolt). The phones that ARE listed say that Bluetooth Voice dialing is not supported. This is dumb since the point of connecting your phone to a car's Bluetooth is so that you can voice dial while driving rather than manually dialing.

03-27-2011, 03:12 PM #3
      Thunder926

Same problem on my wife's 2011 Equinox.
      --------------------------------------

Add Bluetooth to the iPhone 4 list of woe

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/add...one-4-list-of-woe-updated-2x/7588?tag=nl.e589

23. GWA1

GWA1 Active Member

City, State:
      New Castle, DE
      2011 Explorer Limited AWD
      How about we get back to the title of this thread..
      Release date for new MFT?
      Cory, Any word yet?

24. StunnedMonkey

StunnedMonkey Active Member

City, State:
      Fort Wayne, IN
      2011 XLT
      This is the page I've been on for awhile. I won't call MFT and abomination since mine works "OK" most of the time, but it's clearly flawed. And I don't see Ford being willing or able to fix these fundamental flaws. I envision duct tape and bailing wire for current owners, and something better down the line for newer models. But those hoping for a magic fix for current MFT installations are going to be disappointed, in my opinion.

25. sgparnes

sgparnes Active Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, GA
      2011 Limited WMetTr/Pecan
      OnStar?

My wife has gotten used to OnStar phone from our previous vehicle. She won't turn on her cell phone when in the Explorer and complains. We are looking at aftermarket OnStar application(new mirror etc)available at Best Buy. Basically for the phone function. I still believe any upgrades made to Sync will still require use of a Bluetooth cell phone. I almost think about getting a dedicated cell phone to always keep in the Explorer and it should always be ready...just thought about this, not a bad idea. OnStar phone in my old Enclave had it's own dedicated Verizon number anyway.

26. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
      Dearborn, MI
      Please do complete the survey objectively dco43054! This is the feedback we look for from our customers. With any new technology, there will always be room to improve and we use our customers’ feedback to do just that.

I’ve been told we won’t have sample screens because none of the screens are changing. For those asking about an ETA for the update, there still hasn’t been an official date released but it will be before the end of July. I also don’t have a full list of improvements yet and I will continue to post any available details as I learn them.

Cory