Release date for new MFT? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Release date for new MFT?

Asking for SYNC MFT to work with an iPhone (the most popular smartphone in the world) isn't asking for the obscure. My wife's 2011 GMC Terrain OEM Bluetooth system is much less sophisticated and connected my iPhone once and it never dropped again. It switches between mine and my wife's iPhone seamlessly.

With all due respect, extrapolating your single experience with a GMC is a bit simplistic. I can find many examples of that same GM platform that have Bluetooth problems, and keep in mind the Bluetooth protocal in the Terrain/Equinox is a significantly older/simpler protocal.

As for the iPhone, Bluetooth has long been an issue with Apple products, way before MFT. See the ZDNet link below titled "Add Bluetooth to the iPhone 4 list of woe"

Sorry, just keeping it real man.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/bluetooth-problems-iphone-99703/

GM Bluetooth Problems with iPhone

Has anyone here experienced problems with bluetooth connectivity with a new iPhone 4?

My situation: Bought a 2011 Equinox with bluetooth... which worked fine with my old blackberry and my other cell phone. Upgraded my blackberry to an iPhone 4 and now I have problems with connectivity between the car bluetooth and the iPhone 4. Specifically, while the device will "pair" with the vehicle - whenever it receives or makes a phone call it attempts to connect for a period of time and then says "Unable to place call with your bluetooth phone" -- but on the iPhone the call still went through and it still says it's connected on the phone. So basically the bluetooth is unable to "transfer" a phone call to the speakers after it's connected, but it can make the call dial out -- if that makes sense. If I change the phone from "Your Vehicle" to the local phone call I can hear them talk, but I can't get it to work with the car's bluetooth system.

I have tried this on a new 2011 GMC truck as well and have the same problem with the iPhone 4 and bluetooth.

So the problem has to be with either the GM firmware of the bluetooth system for all 2011 vehicles doesn't work with the new iPhone4, or a problem with the iPhone itself

--------------------------
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/thunderbolt-tech-support/134558-bluetooth-problem-gm-cars.html

Bluetooth Problem with GM Cars

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm having trouble keeping the bluetooth connected with my 2011 Camaro. It would connect for 30 secs then disconnect for 2 mins or so then reconnect and disconnect again after about 30 secs. Anybody know why this is happening? Thanks

03-26-2011, 05:52 PM #2
bgrodski
Droid Newbie

I am having the same problem with my 2011 Chevy Equinox. Also, when it WAS connected, I could not get the voice dialer to work. If you go to gm.com/bluetooth you will see a list of compatible phones. There are several droid phones listed (not mine, the Thunderbolt). The phones that ARE listed say that Bluetooth Voice dialing is not supported. This is dumb since the point of connecting your phone to a car's Bluetooth is so that you can voice dial while driving rather than manually dialing.

03-27-2011, 03:12 PM #3
Thunder926

Same problem on my wife's 2011 Equinox.
--------------------------------------

Add Bluetooth to the iPhone 4 list of woe

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/add...one-4-list-of-woe-updated-2x/7588?tag=nl.e589

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about we get back to the title of this thread..
Release date for new MFT?
Cory, Any word yet?

As I have mentioned in other threads. I am pessimistic that MS/Ford/Bsquare/whoever else had a hand in rolling out this abomination we call MFT, will actually spend time fixing our problem instead of just releasing something better in the newer models...

This is the page I've been on for awhile. I won't call MFT and abomination since mine works "OK" most of the time, but it's clearly flawed. And I don't see Ford being willing or able to fix these fundamental flaws. I envision duct tape and bailing wire for current owners, and something better down the line for newer models. But those hoping for a magic fix for current MFT installations are going to be disappointed, in my opinion.

OnStar?

My wife has gotten used to OnStar phone from our previous vehicle. She won't turn on her cell phone when in the Explorer and complains. We are looking at aftermarket OnStar application(new mirror etc)available at Best Buy. Basically for the phone function. I still believe any upgrades made to Sync will still require use of a Bluetooth cell phone. I almost think about getting a dedicated cell phone to always keep in the Explorer and it should always be ready...just thought about this, not a bad idea. OnStar phone in my old Enclave had it's own dedicated Verizon number anyway.

Appreciate that

I realize you are only the CS Rep assigned to try to assist the masses, but really Cory? Really?

I in no way can believe that with all the problems experienced by owners that none of these manifested themselves during testing. This was clearly a case of rushing a product to market to make the date. Someone overpromised and underdelivered and I really hope they are nowhere near the development team that is working on the updated software.

Coincidentally, I just received the JD Powers survey in the mail yesterday. Gosh, that's a long bugger. And no online way to complete it. I guaranty I will complete it objectively based on my personal experience. In summary, I love many things about the vehicle, and HATE the buggy, kludgy nature of MFT.
Please do complete the survey objectively dco43054! This is the feedback we look for from our customers. With any new technology, there will always be room to improve and we use our customers’ feedback to do just that.

Completel agree on the Sirius issues. Hopefully the new system will be MUCH better for browsing.

Cory- is Ford going to release anything official (or unofficial) about the new software prior to it being available? Sample screens, list of fixes, availability date, etc?
I’ve been told we won’t have sample screens because none of the screens are changing. For those asking about an ETA for the update, there still hasn’t been an official date released but it will be before the end of July. I also don’t have a full list of improvements yet and I will continue to post any available details as I learn them.

Cory

With all due respect, extrapolating your single experience with a GMC is a bit simplistic. I can find many examples of that same GM platform that have Bluetooth problems, and keep in mind the Bluetooth protocal in the Terrain/Equinox is a significantly older/simpler protocal.

As for the iPhone, Bluetooth has long been an issue with Apple products, way before MFT. See the ZDNet link below titled "Add Bluetooth to the iPhone 4 list of woe"

Sorry, just keeping it real man.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/bluetooth-problems-iphone-99703/

GM Bluetooth Problems with iPhone

Has anyone here experienced problems with bluetooth connectivity with a new iPhone 4?

My situation: Bought a 2011 Equinox with bluetooth... which worked fine with my old blackberry and my other cell phone. Upgraded my blackberry to an iPhone 4 and now I have problems with connectivity between the car bluetooth and the iPhone 4. Specifically, while the device will "pair" with the vehicle - whenever it receives or makes a phone call it attempts to connect for a period of time and then says "Unable to place call with your bluetooth phone" -- but on the iPhone the call still went through and it still says it's connected on the phone. So basically the bluetooth is unable to "transfer" a phone call to the speakers after it's connected, but it can make the call dial out -- if that makes sense. If I change the phone from "Your Vehicle" to the local phone call I can hear them talk, but I can't get it to work with the car's bluetooth system.

I have tried this on a new 2011 GMC truck as well and have the same problem with the iPhone 4 and bluetooth.

So the problem has to be with either the GM firmware of the bluetooth system for all 2011 vehicles doesn't work with the new iPhone4, or a problem with the iPhone itself

--------------------------
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/thunderbolt-tech-support/134558-bluetooth-problem-gm-cars.html

Bluetooth Problem with GM Cars

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm having trouble keeping the bluetooth connected with my 2011 Camaro. It would connect for 30 secs then disconnect for 2 mins or so then reconnect and disconnect again after about 30 secs. Anybody know why this is happening? Thanks

03-26-2011, 05:52 PM #2
bgrodski
Droid Newbie

I am having the same problem with my 2011 Chevy Equinox. Also, when it WAS connected, I could not get the voice dialer to work. If you go to gm.com/bluetooth you will see a list of compatible phones. There are several droid phones listed (not mine, the Thunderbolt). The phones that ARE listed say that Bluetooth Voice dialing is not supported. This is dumb since the point of connecting your phone to a car's Bluetooth is so that you can voice dial while driving rather than manually dialing.

03-27-2011, 03:12 PM #3
Thunder926

Same problem on my wife's 2011 Equinox.
--------------------------------------

Add Bluetooth to the iPhone 4 list of woe

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/add...one-4-list-of-woe-updated-2x/7588?tag=nl.e589

Interesting because its worked flawlessly for us in the 2011 Terrain and my older 09 Yukon Denali....never experienced any of these issues , not even once.

This is the page I've been on for awhile. I won't call MFT and abomination since mine works "OK" most of the time, but it's clearly flawed. And I don't see Ford being willing or able to fix these fundamental flaws. I envision duct tape and bailing wire for current owners, and something better down the line for newer models. But those hoping for a magic fix for current MFT installations are going to be disappointed, in my opinion.

I doubt Ford will ignore us. If they do.... two words: "CLASS ACTION"

nothing scares the suits of a big car manufacturer more than those two words..... Can you imagine the beating Ford would take in the press if one were filed over MFT? Ford's reputation would suffer tremendously. And it wouldn't be just Explorer owners in the class, but Edge, etc...

i don't think we're there yet, but it is possible given the widespread and serious nature of the problems people are having. My guess is that is why they are taking so long with this update - to make sure that the majority of issues are fixed because Ford realizes that people's patience is not unlimited and they would rather wait an extra month and have more issues resolved than rush out band-aid fix after band-aid fix.

Now.... that being said, I have my suspicions that a software fix isn't going to solve all problems..... I suspect many are hardware related.

I’ve been told we won’t have sample screens because none of the screens are changing. For those asking about an ETA for the update, there still hasn’t been an official date released but it will be before the end of July. I also don’t have a full list of improvements yet and I will continue to post any available details as I learn them.

Cory

Do you know yet whether this will be a dealer installed update or will we be able to perform the update ourselves?

Thanks for the info...

Do you know yet whether this will be a dealer installed update or will we be able to perform the update ourselves?

Thanks for the info...
That’s a great question TimSuds. I’ll check with Rebecca from the In-Vehicle Technology team (Username: FordIVTteam) so she can answer that for you! :)

Cory

Thanks for the info...

Hi TimSuds!

This will be a dealer installed update. For the time being, we are only releasing the major updates as dealer installs unless it is a minor update (i.e. SIRIUS Channel Update).

Rebecca

Hi TimSuds!

This will be a dealer installed update. For the time being, we are only releasing the major updates as dealer installs unless it is a minor update (i.e. SIRIUS Channel Update).

Rebecca

Ok that being the case, how difficult will it be for us to get this update installed in our vehicles? Will we have to prove we have issues first or just call and make an appointment for the update?

Thanks and welcome to the forum!

I have MFT Gen2 - V2.8 and having LOTS of issues

I'm so disappointed. I've had my 2011 Explorer for 3 weeks and so many issues with MFT.. My backup camera freezes all the time or won't disengage once I'm out of reverse, it randomly dials my phone, navigating the interface is PAINFULLY slow..

I chatted with someone at syncmyride.com that confirmed I have the latest software- is all hope lost? Should I even bother taking to the dealership? Is there really anything that can be done short of new and improved software?

HELP!

Thanks,

Abdul

I'm so disappointed. I've had my 2011 Explorer for 3 weeks and so many issues with MFT.. My backup camera freezes all the time or won't disengage once I'm out of reverse, it randomly dials my phone, navigating the interface is PAINFULLY slow..

I chatted with someone at syncmyride.com that confirmed I have the latest software- is all hope lost? Should I even bother taking to the dealership? Is there really anything that can be done short of new and improved software?

HELP!

Thanks,

Abdul

The newest version of software will become available for dealer installation by the end of July. If you don't want to go to the dealer until then, you can try a few things to reset and stabilize the system until the new update comes out.

Since you're a new owner, you probably need to verify that all the settings in MFT and in your phone are correct.

Before you start doing that, I'd recommend doing a Master Reset on MFT (or pull and replace the fuse)

Also reset your phone (and any other devices you might have connected.)

What kind of phone do you have?

Then look through the following. There are also video tutorials online at syncmyride.com:

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/SupportContent/UsingSyncTips.aspx

Mobile Phone Tips

Having trouble pairing or connecting your mobile phone to SYNC? Perhaps your phonebook contacts are not recognized by SYNC? Or the volume is not quite right? Try these mobile phone tips from the engineers.

Try a Clean pairing If you're having trouble pairing your mobile phone with SYNC, try a Clean pairing of your mobile phone with SYNC.

Check your mobile phone for Bluetooth settings. Is SYNC listed? It may be listed under Hands-free Devices. Delete the SYNC listing.

Then check the Phone Menu on SYNC for Bluetooth Devices. If your mobile phone appears, delete its listing.

When both devices are clean of any prior connections, then try pairing your mobile phone to SYNC.

Try re-setting your mobile phone If you're having trouble pairing your mobile phone with SYNC, try re-setting your mobile phone. Please follow your mobile phone directions for safely re-setting it.

Check Security and Auto Accept Settings Your mobile phone may have Security Settings or an Auto Accept function that may interfere with pairing and connecting your mobile phone with SYNC. Check your mobile phone instructions to be sure the settings are not disabling your mobile phone's connection to SYNC.

Update software and firmware Software and firmware updates for mobile phones are made available frequently. Check to see if you have the latest versions; if not, update your mobile phone and try re-pairing your mobile phone with SYNC.

Browse to confirm contacts Browse your Phonebook contacts list in the SYNC Phone Menu. Confirm your contacts have been downloaded to SYNC. Also check that you say the contact name just as it is listed in SYNC.

Check for missing contacts If SYNC confirms your Phonebook Download is Complete, but it is empty or missing contacts, it could be the phonebook contacts are stored on the mobile phone’s SIM card. Follow your phone manual’s directions to move them from the SIM card to the phone's internal memory. Once they are moved, try re-downloading your Phonebook to SYNC.

Turn OFF Auto Phonebook Download Try turning OFF the Auto Phonebook Download feature on SYNC. If this feature is ON, each time you connect your mobile phone with SYNC, the system searches for updates. Turning this feature OFF can help stabilize the connection with SYNC. You can choose to manually update your phonebook with SYNC through the Phone Menu. (This may help with the slow interface you reported)

Remove special ringtones and pictures If you have problems calling or receiving calls from one or a few contacts, it may be due to a ringtone or picture that is associated with the contact. If this is the case, follow your mobile phone instructions for removing an associated ringtone or picture with that contact. Then try downloading your phonebook to SYNC, again.

Add contacts manually If you have paired your mobile phone with SYNC, but the phonebook cannot be downloaded, add contacts manually. Choose the Phone Menu on SYNC and then choose Add a Contact.

Increase the volume If the volume on SYNC is low when you are using your mobile phone, try turning up the volume on your mobile phone—while it is connected to SYNC. Many mobile phones have a dedicated volume control for Bluetooth-hands-free devices, which will also control the volume when it is connected to SYNC.

Now.... that being said, I have my suspicions that a software fix isn't going to solve all problems..... I suspect many are hardware related.

Coming from the software industry, its more likely that its taken a while to track all the bugs down, and they are now going through their QA cycle; which we'll all hope does a better job than last go round :)

Nice checklist Vic!

I was told yesterday by Yolanda at Ford Customer Service that the new update is coming in August. Couldn't give me any specifics on the nature of the updates or specifically when in August. My confidence in her precise knowledge is relatively low.

Ok that being the case, how difficult will it be for us to get this update installed in our vehicles? Will we have to prove we have issues first or just call and make an appointment for the update?

Thanks and welcome to the forum!

This is up to the dealership, however, each update is covered once under warranty (until the end of the year).

HELP!

Thanks,

Abdul

@Abdul - The new software update will address the concerns you described above. Currently, for the back up camera freezing on your screen, an ignition cycle generally clears it. This is done by turning the engine off, opening your driver side door for 10 seconds, closing the door, and finally turning the engine back on.

A Master Reset will help regain speed when switching screens. I am going to post the instructions for a Master Reset and also how to Reverse Pair your phone. This should also help with the random dialing.

The first thing to do would be a Master Reset on the MFT system and a battery pull on your phone. When you pull the battery on your phone (if you can), make sure it is on and you leave the battery out for 30 seconds. It is always good to reboot your phone when you do a Master Reset so they both have a fresh start.

To do a Master Reset follow these instructions:

Touch MENU
Touch SETTINGS
Touch SYSTEM
Touch down arrow until you get to the very end
Touch MASTER RESET

In your phone, delete the SYNC connection.

Once your phone and MFT are back up, "Reverse Pair" your phone:

Go into your Bluetooth Settings on your phone and make sure Discoverable mode is set to always
Touch ADD A PHONE
Touch FIND OTHER DEVICES
When your phone shows up on the MFT screen, select it
Type in the Pass-key of 0000 and touch ENTER
You BB will now ask you to enter in a Pass-key, type in 0000 and the equivalent of OK
Both devices should now connect to each other
When the system asks you to Auto Download your phone book, select NO
You should now be on the PHONE menu
Touch SETTINGS
Touch down arrow until you see MANAGE PHONEBOOK
Touch RE-DOWNLOAD PHONEBOOK

Nice checklist Vic!

+1

I was told yesterday by Yolanda at Ford Customer Service that the new update is coming in August. Couldn't give me any specifics on the nature of the updates or specifically when in August. My confidence in her precise knowledge is relatively low.

I am sorry for the miscommunication! Generally, if you need to speak to someone about SYNC/MFT, you can call our help desk at 800-392-3673 options 1 and 3. This will take you to the SYNC Support Center. The Customer Service side helps with all "non-SYNC" related questions. Or, better yet, you can just send me a private message :)

The update is so close to being released, I can taste it!

Rebecca

A Master Reset will help regain speed when switching screens. I am going to post the instructions for a Master Reset and also how to Reverse Pair your phone. This should also help with the random dialing.

The first thing to do would be a Master Reset on the MFT system and a battery pull on your phone. When you pull the battery on your phone (if you can), make sure it is on and you leave the battery out for 30 seconds. It is always good to reboot your phone when you do a Master Reset so they both have a fresh start.

Touch MENU
Touch SETTINGS
Touch SYSTEM
Touch MASTER RESET

Rebecca

Rebecca,

Your instructions for performing a master reset are not detailed enough for those people with factory NAV. I know this because when I performed these EXACT steps, I was immediately confronted with a warning that said I needed to remove my SD card or it would be erased. I think this is a fairly important detail to share in your instructions. Also, once you have removed the SD card and the system is rebooting, at what point should the SD card be re-inserted? Please let me know your thoughts on this.

-Al

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is up to the dealership, however, each update is covered once under warranty (until the end of the year).

@Abdul - The new software update will address the concerns you described above. Currently, for the back up camera freezing on your screen, an ignition cycle generally clears it. This is done by turning the engine off, opening your driver side door for 10 seconds, closing the door, and finally turning the engine back on.

Touch MENU
Touch SETTINGS
Touch SYSTEM
Touch MASTER RESET

In your phone, delete the SYNC connection.

Once your phone and MFT are back up, "Reverse Pair" your phone:

Go into your Bluetooth Settings on your phone and make sure Discoverable mode is set to always
Touch ADD A PHONE
Touch FIND OTHER DEVICES
When your phone shows up on the MFT screen, select it
Type in the Pass-key of 0000 and touch ENTER
You BB will now ask you to enter in a Pass-key, type in 0000 and the equivalent of OK
Both devices should now connect to each other
When the system asks you to Auto Download your phone book, select NO
You should now be on the PHONE menu
Touch SETTINGS
Touch down arrow until you see MANAGE PHONEBOOK
Touch RE-DOWNLOAD PHONEBOOK

+1

I am sorry for the miss communication! Generally, if you need to speak to someone about SYNC/MFT, you can call our help desk at 800-392-3673 options 1 and 3. This will take you to the SYNC Support Center. The Customer Service side helps with all "non-SYNC" related questions. Or, better yet, you can just send me a private message :)

The update is so close to being released, I can taste it!

Rebecca

Hey Rebecca

If you need to get the latest information on the new update please read the Thread from Chimoman as he has reported he already had his vehicle updated to v2.11 today.

Interesting Corporate Communication Strategy..........

Back