Relocated Breather tubes installed! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Relocated Breather tubes installed!

JamminG4Jim

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Near St. Paul, MN.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Hi Everyone! I spent a couple of hours today routing my front and rear Diff breather tube hoses up into the engine compartment! 1 Breather filter for the diffs, and 1 for the tranny and xfer case. I found the mod on this forum! Here's some pics:

breather14.jpg

After circling the engine compartment a few times trying to figure out where to mount the K&N filters I decided on this inspection plate.

breather15.jpg

Here's a shot of the piece of angle bracket I used.

breather21.jpg

I mounted the filters on the plate, then....
breather23.jpg

Hooked up the hoses that run to the T-connector down by the frame (also marked one of them with tape to tell them apart!
breather26.jpg

A pic of the completed project! They sit snugly there and should work well as far as NOT getting submerged!!!!

Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jim
Looks like a clean job with the mod, but whats it all about. What are front and rear diff breather tubes anyway? (probably a really dumb question) I have a 94X and thought it might be something I'd try.

Also, how do you like the KKM truerev? I always wondered about sucking too much HOT air from under the hood with those, especially the way the 94s are mounted way back in the engine compartment. Just wondering

Tim

jim, sweet... i want to do that eventually just for show appeal with k&n filters.. and they will also help for stream crossings

The breather tube is for the differentials and transmission to let off heat when they get hot, say you leave the stock one which is like 2 inches long up front like it is, then you go and wheel like a bat out of hell and get everything good and hot, then it will act like a vacuum to suck in cool airl, unless it wants to really cool off like if you would say, go into cool water, then you have just replaced all diff fluid with muddy water, so there you have a shot diff, cool and cooked.

Jim I relocated mine also on Saturday, luckily I remembered just before I hit the pipeline, spent some time under water. So did my buddy Matt
Dead Link Removed

So lets start a thread about our event on the 17th. I wanna wheel with ya

Thanks to all!

I apprecieate all the kind words! When I got back from the Memorial day run in Dresser wisconsin I had a murky mess in my rear diff! Luckily I haven't been wheeling with it since I changed the diff cover and Fluid and last weekend when I did the hoses!

NOW i'm ready for the APPLE VALLEY FARMS RUN!!!!
Danny, i'll post something later on tonite, ok?

Jim

Attachments

• 456423171_o.jpg
    456423171_o.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 350

Cool, thanks mate!!! That makes it an even simpler processs (famous last word's right there!) Cheer's Sir.

That makes for an even better way to go, thank's for that mate. 1/2" hose it is!:chug:

holy%20thread%20resurrection.jpg

Back