• Register Today It's free!

Remote fob question

WaterBrat

Reaction score
City, State
Tulum, MX Originally Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer EB V8 4WD
Apoloogies in advance if I did not search enough through existing threads.
2005 EB V8. I lost my keys in the neighborhood and can erase and reprogram keys w/ Forscan. Anyone know if it is possible to disable the remote fobs and reprogram them. I hate the idea that someone may be able to unlock the EX even if they won't be able to drive it away.
Also any way to identify if keys are clones without erasing the programming on them?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Skipper in Mx.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the initial reply. I reprogrammed the fob I am in possession of so the lost one is disabled. Still looking for guidance on a clone as I don't want to erase the keys if I don't know which one was the aftermarket.

Skipper

If you buy spare one on eBay for example and have a working one, then you can program up to two more at same time and you would have extras that only work on your car. The one you lost should no longer work. I bought a pair of them off eBay a couple years ago and still going strong. My factory ones had lost ability to unlock and had gotten weak. Just beware of the ones that would have to ship from overseas. Make sure also that a fob for sale on eBay has the electronics inside also and it's not just a shell. Do a search for your Year model Explorer and should be good. I don't think I paid more than $10 including shipping for the one I got

" I don't want to erase the keys if I don't know which one was the aftermarket.

Skipper
From what I understand, the computer treats all of the programmed fobs as originals, so it won't really matter what you use, as long as they're programmed in

2005 EB V8. I lost my keys in the neighborhood and can erase and reprogram keys w/ Forscan..
Also any way to identify if keys are clones without erasing the programming on them?

I reprogrammed the fob I am in possession of so the lost one is disabled. Still looking for guidance on a clone as I don't want to erase the keys if I don't know which one was the aftermarket.
He's referring to PATS keys and has already re-programmed the remaining OEM fob that disables the lost one. Unless a properly equipped locksmith is able to detect a cloned key vs. an original, it might be difficult unless the Forscan program can do it. Are both keys identical in appearance? Here's a link showing OEM Ford (Strattec) keys:

Ford Key Blanks - STRATTEC Security Corporation

What Is The Difference Between A Cloned Key And A Programmed Key | eBay

Please, someone explain what happened in my case. Stated in short form, I believed my PCM was at fault, bought a rebuilt which came with two keys "programmed" to it. Had the replacement keys teeth cut from my original keys. Seller downloaded VIN into replacement PCM. Installed, used one of the keys he supplied, started normally. Other key, nothing. New PCM did not fix problem, so put original PCM back. Started engine normally. MY OTHER KEY, FORD ORIGINAL, which always worked before the PCM R&R, won't work!

Where did I go wrong? Telling me removing and reinstalling a PCM kills ability of one of it's keys to work? Thanks for any help! imp

swshawaii has an understanding of what I was asking. To provide more info: I had 3 keys but Forscan only sees 2, so 1 is a clone. The only way to disable the lost key is to Erase All Keys and reprogram the 2 I have. All the PATS threads says the 2 keys needed in memory before the EX will start need to be OEM. I can't risk erasing all keys if 1 of the 2 we have left is a clone. Guess I will just have to purchase another OEM (Strattec) even though I have 2 keys, but I hate the idea of someone close by, finding the lost key and driving my EX away in the middle of the night.

Imp, I think on my EX the key info is not in the PCM but in the IC module (is it the same, just a different part of memory?) Possibly on yours the issue is/was the communication between the PCM and IC modules and maybe what you think is an OEM was cloned instead of the full programming. I believe on some vehicles with a valet key, it is also a clone while locking out some of the features. If you still have multiple keys and an OBD tool, get Forscan and reprogram them all. It is fairly simple process.

swshawaii has an understanding of what I was asking. To provide more info: I had 3 keys but Forscan only sees 2, so 1 is a clone. The only way to disable the lost key is to Erase All Keys and reprogram the 2 I have. All the PATS threads says the 2 keys needed in memory before the EX will start need to be OEM. I can't risk erasi, ng all keys if 1 of the 2 we have left is a clone. Guess I will just have to purchase another OEM (Strattec) even though I have 2 keys, but I hate the idea of someone close by, finding the lost key and driving my EX away in the middle of the night.

Imp, I think on my EX the key info is not in the PCM but in the IC module (is it the same, just a different part of memory?) Possibly on yours the issue is/was the communication between the PCM and IC modules and maybe what you think is an OEM was cloned instead of the full programming. I believe on some vehicles with a valet key, it is also a clone while locking out some of the features. If you still have multiple keys and an OBD tool, get Forscan and reprogram them all. It is fairly simple process.
@WaterBrat
My Ford Wiring Diagrams call it the Vehicle Security Module (VSM). It is located in the body panel, RH rear, below the front of the fixed window. You bring up interesting points about clone keys, which I have never thought about or understood. Just wondering, if a "valet" key allows starting and driving the vehicle, how is it protective of security in any way? Like, locking out some features, I wonder which ones? imp

swshawaii has an understanding of what I was asking. To provide more info: I had 3 keys but Forscan only sees 2, so 1 is a clone. The only way to disable the lost key is to Erase All Keys and reprogram the 2 I have. All the PATS threads says the 2 keys needed in memory before the EX will start need to be OEM. I can't risk erasing all keys if 1 of the 2 we have left is a clone. Guess I will just have to purchase another OEM (Strattec) even though I have 2 keys, but I hate the idea of someone close by, finding the lost key and driving my EX away in the middle of the night.

Maybe what you should do is buy 2 new keys and program them in and discard the 2 you have, then you will not have to worry about the clone key. The keys are much cheaper than your truck and worth the peace of mind.

^ TWO programmed (not cloned) PATS keys are needed to program extra keys, up to eight total.

OP only has two keys remaining after one was lost, and is not sure if one is programmed or cloned.

^ TWO programmed (not cloned) PATS keys are needed to program extra keys, up to eight total.

OP only has two keys remaining after one was lost, and is not sure if one is programmed or cloned.

I believe with Forscan (which he said he is using) you don't need two programmed keys to add others.

^ Excellent info. Reading the thread, 2Trux's statement above appears correct.

Reply #52 answered by TechGuru from the ORIGINAL Forscan post below:
Solved - PATS key sucsess! Thanks Forscan | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger
Q- Just to confirm, if I only have 1 key for my 2004 explorer, the Forscan software with OBD usb device can program a second key? I don't need 2 existing programmed keys?
A- Forscan can program from scratch. In fact many times you actually clear all keys before programming to clear out keys you don't have. You will need program at least 2 keys before the vehicle will start.

My explorer showed 3 keys programmed when I got it but I only received two when I bought it so I did a clear all then reprogrammed the two I have.

You must have two keys, don't matter if they are programmed or not. They also must be two unique transponder keys NO CLONES as they would essentially both be the same key to the computer.

^ Excellent info. Reading the thread, 2Trux's statement above appears correct.

Reply #52 answered by TechGuru from the ORIGINAL Forscan post below:
Solved - PATS key sucsess! Thanks Forscan | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger
@swshawaii
Really appreciate your input here. I am wavering between calling the local "key guy", who supposedly can resolve ANY chip key issue, and trying Forscan. One guy wrote Forscan left him with 2 keys unable to start the Ex.

Me, I have 2 PCMs, one is the truck's original, 2 keys for each, and only one key for each will start the truck. Help!
imp

imp. to be honest, I've never used the Forscan program. Just relying on info I've read here, and quite honestly consider myself computer illiterate. I suggest you read through the Forscan procedure linked below and post questions here if you have any. You are a brilliant tech that has helped many here, and I'm confident your issue will be resolved without a locksmith or dealer. Good luck.

FORScan forum • View topic - How to program PATS using FORScan v2.2.*

imp. to be honest, I've never used the Forscan program. Just relying on info I've read here, and quite honestly consider myself computer illiterate. I suggest you read through the Forscan procedure linked below and post questions here if you have any. You are a brilliant tech that has helped many here, and I'm confident your issue will be resolved without a locksmith or dealer. Good luck.

FORScan forum • View topic - How to program PATS using FORScan v2.2.*
@swshawaii
Appreciate your frankness. If you are computer illiterate, then I am illiterate squared! Right now, am lucky to be here at all. Attemting to return here, an immovable flag asking for some kind of registration blocks the login box, had to try 6 times, almost gave up. Tried all 3 of my browsers. So, if you do not hear from me, it's 'cause I can't get in. imp

Back