Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Remote start extra key cost

Discussion in '2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology' started by tmrm, April 5, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. tmrm

tmrm New Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    Hey all,

I'm looking at purchasing a 2011 Explorer Limited. It only comes with one remote starter. The dealer said he'd add one for $500.00 or I can get one on my own after the vehicle is purchased. (Dealer is not local) I've called a couple of local dealers, but they say they would need to see the original key to know what I need. Any ballpark ideas as far as cost? This is all new to me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. deewan

deewan Active Member

City, State:
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2012 Explorer Limited
    The dealer is full of sheet! The Limited comes with two of the exact same IA keys and the remote start is on the key.

Check to make sure the dealer is not thinking of an after market remote start system OR the remote start system for the XLT trim package. Either way, $500 seems VERY steep. The complete bi-directional remote start system can be bought for half the cost of what your dealer is saying a key costs.
    http://www.partscheap.com/2011-2012-Ford-Explorer-Remote-Start-p/bb5z-19g364-e.htm

Might want to look for a new dealer to purchase from if he is trying to scam you out of money!

4. vurb

vurb New Member

City, State:
    Austin, TX
    2011 Explorer Limited
    Assuming this is a used 2011, it makes sense that there may only be 1 key included. I purchased an extra off ebay new for $45 that had the physical key missing. The dealer charged $20 to cut and add a new physical key. If you only have 1 key you will have to get a dealer to program a 2nd, as you can only do it yourself if you have 2 working keys. A dealer should charge no more than $50 for that.

Either way do not pay $500 for an extra key. Get the Ex in your possession and then take it from there. Even if you bought everything from your local dealer it should never come anywhere near $500.

5. tmrm

tmrm New Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks so much! Yes, it is a used 2011 that only came into their dealership with one starter key. It's not a Ford dealer, so they said the $500.00 was including their cost to go down the street to the Ford dealer and get another one made. It has the 302A spec package, so it is the remote start system that comes with that. I just now let them know that I would not be paying the extra $$$. I'll get it handled on my own before I do that.

I've owned Explorers for many years, but I'm on a learning curve here with all the new technology. Thanks again.

Last edited: April 5, 2012
  6. tmrm

tmrm New Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks so much! Yes, it is a used 2011 that only came into their dealership with one starter key. It's not a Ford dealer, so they said the $500.00 was including their cost to go down the street to the Ford dealer and get another one made. I just now let them know that I would not be paying the extra $$$. I'll get it handled on my own before I do that.

I've owned Explorers for many years, but I'm on a learning curve here with all the new technology. Thanks again.

7. GWA1

GWA1 Active Member

City, State:
    New Castle, DE
    2011 Explorer Limited AWD
    Someone is walking around with the other IA key and can start the vehicle!
    Unless it got lost.
    They should take it to ford and reprogram IA.

8. BethesdaEC

BethesdaEC Active Member

City, State:
    Ellicott City, MD
    2011 Red Explorer Limited
    I got a third key with mine and I believe it was $140 but I did program the key to car myself. It's really easy and it only took a couple of minutes.

9. tmrm

tmrm New Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks again. They said since they were going to take it to the Ford dealer to have the MFT update done, that they would 'only' charge me $300.00 for the remote start key. I think I'm going to go ahead and have them get it done.
    I had asked them if the updates to MFT had been done, and also to check any other tsb's.