Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

jmr061

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Exp Sport
Content removed due to continued discussion of illegal software (copyright violation) in responses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Jason,

Great idea to make it clear for everyone. When I started researching remote starters for my 2014 XLT I have to admit I was extremely confused with all the different options.

I have now my Series 100 (5 buttons because of power tailgate) cut, programmed and enabled by the dealer and it works great, apart from the fact that the dealer forgot to enable heated seats (which they will fix next week).

I have to say that I find it to be the cheapest, most convenient option in the fact that this is all FORD parts, no need for another annoying remote on my key chain, no need for wiring or aftermarket install and it works fine from a good distance. On top of which you have some level of control on systems you want to run during the remote start session.

Thanks for clarifying for all the people that can be confused like I was at first.

I got this activated today with JMR061's help. I had to call around a bit to find a dealer familiar with it. Grand total cost involved between buying a key from JMR, key cut/program, and activation was $185. That's hard to beat!

Did the dealership cut your new keys, or did you get them done at a hardware store? And if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost? Thanks.

Did the dealership cut your new keys, or did you get them done at a hardware store? And if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost? Thanks.

It's all labor. You might get charged a full hour, or if you've got someone who knows there way around the IDS to get it setup, perhaps they'll get you in and our for a half hour of labor. Cutting the new IKT would only be a few bucks.

I had my remote start enabled and new cut IKT key from Jason negotiated into the purchase of the vehicle.

My personal opinion is to not try and get a key from fleabay, go to Jason as he's a great dude all around and will be sure to get the proper button setup for your vehicle.

My dealer charged me a forfait price of 59.99 for programming keys plus IDS and 5 $ per key cut (2)

So total of 69.99 for the procedure.

Of course i had to by the new set of two 5 button keys also. (About 200$)

For the person that asked..

I was quoted $178 over the phone by this dealer for the activation and key cut but at the cashier desk they said $95. It might be because I only brought one key? I think I could program the second one myself though anyway.

I think I paid Jason $91 for the key including shipping. It was a genuine Ford key, which I couldn't be sure of from other vendors. Plus, he traded so many messages with me helping me out I wouldn't have felt right buying it elsewhere. The service department manager even commented how much cheaper they could be found online. I still find it very odd that one dealer can know so much about it and almost every other one had no idea what I was talking about.

let me just say..it works GREAT and has excellent range for the basic setup.

For me, I bought the keys from Jason, had them cut at a locksmith for a few bucks each and programmed them myself. The hardest part was finding a dealership willing to be educated. Three dealerships refused to even look at the documentation that I had.

So I got my remote start working today. works great. Called other dealers and they tried to get me to buy a new system. $511.00 to get it installed and working. Thanks to Jason(Jmr061) I did not have to do that. Got my key from him since all xlt's and above has remote start already. He helped with the programming. total cost for key's, cutting and activating remote start was 210.00. Took the instructions Jason mentioned above. Made the techs job easier. One issue I am having is that the heated seats do not stay on when the remote start is activated. I had it set to "last user setting" but still goes off. Has anyone experienced this issue.

Also if you are still experiencing the funny smell from the engine during hard acceleration there is a fix for that now. the dealers don't tell you that the fix for the recall is available you have to ask them. My dealer told me that the fix has been available since July 2014 even though I took my car in for service in September 2014 Taking it in tomorrow for the fix.

So I got my remote start working today. works great. Called other dealers and they tried to get me to buy a new system. $511.00 to get it installed and working. Thanks to Jason(Jmr061) I did not have to do that. Got my key from him since all xlt's and above has remote start already. He helped with the programming. total cost for key's, cutting and activating remote start was 210.00. Took the instructions Jason mentioned above. Made the techs job easier. One issue I am having is that the heated seats do not stay on when the remote start is activated. I had it set to "last user setting" but still goes off. Has anyone experienced this issue.

Also if you are still experiencing the funny smell from the engine during hard acceleration there is a fix for that now. the dealers don't tell you that the fix for the recall is available you have to ask them. My dealer told me that the fix has been available since July 2014 even though I took my car in for service in September 2014 Taking it in tomorrow for the fix.

The lights for any of the climate control stuff will not function during remote start. The items still work however. The seats may be tied into temperature even in the last user setting?

I still have more keys available :)

Weird, my 2011 has remote start, but I have to hit the lock button twice really quickly and it starts. I was really curious about that. Good info, now just need to figure out what to do!!

Weird, my 2011 has remote start, but I have to hit the lock button twice really quickly and it starts. I was really curious about that. Good info, now just need to figure out what to do!!

Sounds like an aftermarket system.

So if I have read this correctly, I can purchase 2 new IKT 4 button keys (part #BB5Z-19G364-A ) from the OP Jason, and then use my 2 original OEM keys to program the new 4 button keys myself without having to go into a dealer for them to do anything? I have a 2014 XLT so it should already be equipped with the other necessary stuff for remote start.

Ta-da I am done....correct?

So if I have read this correctly, I can purchase 2 new IKT 4 button keys (part #BB5Z-19G364-A ) from the OP Jason, and then use my 2 original OEM keys to program the new 4 button keys myself without having to go into a dealer for them to do anything? I have a 2014 XLT so it should already be equipped with the other necessary stuff for remote start.

Ta-da I am done....correct?

The dealer or someone with the hardware and software would still need to enable remote start.

Ok noted.

Dang!....I was trying to avoid those thieves.

Check with a few dealers...people have had it activated for as little as 30-some bucks up to 130ish.

Regardless of what the dealer tells you all they have to do is activate it. There is no hardware installation. You should have verified you have the hood pin already.

Thanks for your help and knowledge.

There's only one dealer here and they don't seem to be very familiar with how to do these things. I've been waiting on a price from them for remote start and some other accessories from when I purchased the vehicle in September 2014.

I'll probably just buy what I need from you and then go in and get them to do their part, which I hope is as least as possible.

Thanks for your help and knowledge.

There's only one dealer here and they don't seem to be very familiar with how to do these things. I've been waiting on a price from them for remote start and some other accessories from when I purchased the vehicle in September 2014.

I'll probably just buy what I need from you and then go in and get them to do their part, which I hope is as least as possible.

Just give them this:

If your vehicle did not come with a package that includes the basic remote start feature all the dealer has to do is enable it through the dealer software known as IDS.

IDS Process:
The dealer will hook up to the vehicle and start a new vehicle session. Then in order they select menu items under the tool box tab: body --> security --> remote start. A warning screen will pop up stating that the hood pin must be installed and that an antenna must be installed with the exceptions of several vehicle types INCLUDING the Explorer. I repeat....the Explorer does not require an additional antenna for the base remote start system. If a hood pin is not installed IDS will fail in enabling remote start. Depending on the year of the Explorer, IDS may ask the user if the vehicle has climate controlled seats and a heated steering wheel. IDS will then enable remote start. There will be new menu items in the instrument cluster related to remote start. This process may take up to 15 minutes. What your dealer charges to do this is up to them. CHECK AROUND and get estimates!!

Any new remote start keys will need to cut and programmed to the vehicle. If you have two existing keys you can program new keys to your vehicle yourself (the process is noted in your Owner's Manual) otherwise your dealer will need to program your new key(s) to the vehicle. The vehicle can have up to 4 IKTs programmed to it. The keys do not need to be programmed to the vehicle before enabling remote start but it doesn't change anything if you do it ahead of time.

My dealer charged me 59.99 $ for programming my 2 new keys and programming the car with IDS.
it takes them 15 minutes tops so don't let them charge you more than 1 hour of labor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like an aftermarket system.

I don't know if it is or not, I do know that it is the factory key, both of them. If I hit the lock button twice consecutively, it will start. Runs 10 minutes I think.

Back