Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only) | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

Jmr is there any other place you suggest to get the oem from other than dealer? Beings you don't sell them anymore
I got a remanufactured ford key off ebay. It came from a locksmith. Much cheaper than buying new and it works fine. You just have to get the key cut which I did HD for free.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I think my problem is sometimes when I press the lock button it's not being recognized. So when I hit the remote start button it doesn't want to start. And I think if you start the process and aren't successful it locks you out hence why I get the beep and no start.........
I know my previous 2011 allowed for several attempts before preventing additional remote start attempts. I have not been able to find any mention of this in the 2014 Manual.

Peter

First, thank you everyone for this thread - it's been a huge help!

I am however just a little confused, I'm looking to buy the DL3Z-15603-C (Antenna Kit) part, but I don't know what it actually looks like and I seem to see multiple styles.

I see THIS style that looks like it affixes behind the rear view mirror on the windshield:

s-l500.jpg

And then I see images like this that lead me to believe it goes somewhere in the rear drivers quarter panel (or somewhere else):
dl3z-15603-c.jpg

Could someone please help direct me on what exactly I'm looking for with my 2014 Explorer? Thanks in advance!

I'm having issues getting my remote start to work now. I hit the lock button, then hit the remote start button twice and the horn beeps and the flashers blink twice. I've tried unlocking and relocking the door thinking maybe everything just needs to be reset. But I keep getting back to hit lock, then remote start twice and the horn just beeps and it does not start.

Any ideas?

Refer to the owner's manual. It covers this.

So I looked at the owners manual and of the reasons for a no start the only one that's possible is "the battery voltage is too low." However when you start the car with the key there's no indication of a problem with the battery. It starts the car normal. There is no warning light regarding the battery (if there is one).

I don't get it, it seems more often then not it does NOT work. The only other thing I can think of is the key I got is a real ford key but a remanufactured. It was bought off ebay from a locksmith. It looks like he opened up the key and replaced the blade and then resold it. But all the other buttons on the key work fine (lock, unlock, remote trunk, alarm). And the car must be picking up the signal because it's letting out 2 beeps, it's just not cranking.

Has anyone figured out what change to make using FORScan? It would save a lot of people money by having Togo to the dealer for programming this function. If anyone is interested I plan on doing some research. If the only thing you've done programming wise to your car is have the dealer do the remote start, if you could send me your ab data from forscan and your vin, I'll compare the two and see what change is made.

I am at my dealership asking them to enable the basic system. Getting the typical gruff that it won't work. They confirmed that it has the hood pin but tried telling me i needed the antenna. With persistence, showing them this web forum, I told them that this was untrue. Of course they called someone else who confirmed they have to try because not all Explorers require the additional antenna. I guess time will tell after they cut my two keys and turn the remote start on through IDS.

Happy to say that the remote start works as I knew it would. I just wish dealerships wouldn't be so quick to dismiss consumers insisting they don't know what they are talking about.

Thanks to this forum for the help!

Jerry
2014 Explorer XLT

I was at Apple Ford in Maryland today and 2 techs and the accessories person said that I would have to buy the remote start at $579. All 3 refused to look at this thread. They said something has to be installed. She said this accessory is installed by a Ford accessories vendor that comes in for the install. She said she would call them for me.
When you are using the vcx nano did it work on a Windows 10 laptop? Thanks

Welcome to the Forum dhummer :wave:and Happy New Year.:party:

Peter

there was two CDs with the VCX... one for FORD and one for Mazda.

on the CD is the IDS VMware image.

I just installed VMWare Player (it´s free) on my Win10 laptop and use the image...

If you have forscan and an OBDLink MX Bluetooth, send me a message. I have the changes needed for remote start activation.

My dealer is telling me 350 for 2 keys and setting up the remote start on my 2014 XLT, hosed or deal?

My dealer is telling me 350 for 2 keys and setting up the remote start on my 2014 XLT, hosed or deal?
Do you have Forscan? I just recently shared the programming for remote start using forscan for those that want to do it themselves now since they don't have IDS.

Do you have Forscan? I just recently shared the programming for remote start using forscan for those that want to do it themselves now since they don't have IDS.

I have nothing.

I have nothing.
Forscan is free. Spend the money and get you an OBDlink MX Bluetooth and a Bluetooth adapter if your computer doesn't have it and get your keys elsewhere and do it yourself. You're getting hosed on that dealers price. Once you get the stuff needed, you can do other mods yourself.

Welp...I made a mistake and need some advice. I have two existing Admin keys, however there is a third Admin key that was never provided from the dealer, which I guess means that there's only ONE remaining Admin key slot. Anyway, I purchased a 5-button IKT on eBay and made multiple attempts to program it using the steps listed in the owner's manual.

Upon completion of the programming steps, the IC displays a message: "Unable to program Integrated Key" - naturally I panicked and repeated the programming steps multiple times, each time getting the error message. I read a previous post in this thread that suggested programming the remote transmitter for the key separately using the "8 times off and on" method, so I did that, and it WORKED - or so I thought. My new 5-button IKT can now start the car remotely, but it cannot start the car using the ignition switch (IS message: "STARTING SYSTEM FAULT"). In fact, if I do a remote start and then put the 5-button key in the ignition and turn it on, it sets off the security system! If I use a 4-button key in the ignition after a remote start, everything is fine.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but I think I know what's wrong: The bladed part of key with the transponder ISN'T programmed correctly and the remote transmitter part of the key IS programmed correctly. What I'm struggling is how to re-program the bladed part of the key. I'm now at my maximum 4 of 4 Admin keys (one of which is this new key that doesn't work!).

Can I selectively remove an existing Admin key? (IC meunu? FORScan? IDS?) Do I have to wipe them all out and start over? Did I just get a crappy key? Should I just call a Locksmith?

If you wipe them all then I believe you will have to go to the dealer to have them programmed as you require 2 programmed keys in order to program a 3rd yourself.
I read page 66 of the 2013 Manual (4th print) Deactivating Memory from the Transmitter and wasn't exactly clear if it wiped out the full key memory or not. Perhaps your understanding may be better. As for programming, I haven't had to do that so I won't offer an opinion on that. I'm sure there are others with more knowledge on hat issue.

Peter

Welp...I made a mistake and need some advice. I have two existing Admin keys, however there is a third Admin key that was never provided from the dealer, which I guess means that there's only ONE remaining Admin key slot. Anyway, I purchased a 5-button IKT on eBay and made multiple attempts to program it using the steps listed in the owner's manual.

Upon completion of the programming steps, the IC displays a message: "Unable to program Integrated Key" - naturally I panicked and repeated the programming steps multiple times, each time getting the error message. I read a previous post in this thread that suggested programming the remote transmitter for the key separately using the "8 times off and on" method, so I did that, and it WORKED - or so I thought. My new 5-button IKT can now start the car remotely, but it cannot start the car using the ignition switch (IS message: "STARTING SYSTEM FAULT"). In fact, if I do a remote start and then put the 5-button key in the ignition and turn it on, it sets off the security system! If I use a 4-button key in the ignition after a remote start, everything is fine.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but I think I know what's wrong: The bladed part of key with the transponder ISN'T programmed correctly and the remote transmitter part of the key IS programmed correctly. What I'm struggling is how to re-program the bladed part of the key. I'm now at my maximum 4 of 4 Admin keys (one of which is this new key that doesn't work!).

Can I selectively remove an existing Admin key? (IC meunu? FORScan? IDS?) Do I have to wipe them all out and start over? Did I just get a crappy key? Should I just call a Locksmith?
"I bought a key on eBay" is your first mistake.

To remove any unwanted keys you need IDS to clear ALL KEYS then Reprogram the keys you want. You got a cheap knockoff key and they usually don't work, as is your case. A good rebladed OEM IKT can be had for $50 if you look. Now you can't even program new key unless you take a trip to the dealer. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ebay is hit and miss, I had bad TPMS sensors but lucked out on the knock off keys

Back