Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only) | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

I bought a reman/rebladed key off ebay. Think it was around $50 and I've had success. Was sold by a locksmith on ebay. I would definitely do that route vs knockoffs. Quite frankly, I'd be very leery of buying any electronics off ebay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New to this site.
My wife and I just purchased a used 2014 Ford explorer XLT. It does not have remote start on it.

I was in the internet and found this forum.
We want to add remote start. I have called dealer and they said that it didn't come with it.

So after reading this post, it did come with it but need to be turned on?
I need 2 fobs with keys in them, Part #BB5Z-19G364-A (no power lift gate). (Got a price of 97.00 each.)

There is a hood switch on the drivers side.
What is the hood pin in the IDS??

Antenna, do I need to install an antenna for a longer range??

So the dealer just cuts the key and turns the remote option on??
I am confused on what I actual really need.
I would like to contact jmr061 if anybody has a contact number?

Thanks in advance.
Jack

Thanks in advance.
Jack
Welcome to the Forum Jack.:wave:
We don't have contact numbers for our members. If you want to contact a member directly, the best thing is to send them a PM (Private Message). You send them a PM by 'Starting a Conversation' with them. You can do that by finding a post by the member and then clicking on their name in the margin and selecting from the pop up or by going to your name at the top right and selecting Conversations and then 'Start a New Conversation. Then type the username in the Participants box.

Peter

New to this site.
My wife and I just purchased a used 2014 Ford explorer XLT. It does not have remote start on it.

I was in the internet and found this forum.
We want to add remote start. I have called dealer and they said that it didn't come with it.

So after reading this post, it did come with it but need to be turned on?
I need 2 fobs with keys in them, Part #BB5Z-19G364-A (no power lift gate). (Got a price of 97.00 each.)

There is a hood switch on the drivers side.
What is the hood pin in the IDS??

Antenna, do I need to install an antenna for a longer range??

So the dealer just cuts the key and turns the remote option on??
I am confused on what I actual really need.

Thanks in advance.
Jack
I can also help you out if you're wanting to do this yourself. You'd have to buy an OBD reader and hopefully you have a laptop with Bluetooth. If not a dongle can be purchased for Bluetooth. A free program called forscan and my instructions on how to enable it.

I can also help you out if you're wanting to do this yourself. You'd have to buy an OBD reader and hopefully you have a laptop with Bluetooth. If not a dongle can be purchased for Bluetooth. A free program called forscan and my instructions on how to enable it.

I didn't realize forscan can do this?

I used Explorer82's instructions and it worked beautifully, only took me 5 minutes!! Big Shout out to them for their help! Keys only cost me 40, got them both cut for 10 and spent 80 on the OBDlink MX Bluetooth. Easily saved me half of what I would've spent.

I used Explorer82's instructions and it worked beautifully, only took me 5 minutes!! Big Shout out to them for their help! Keys only cost me 40, got them both cut for 10 and spent 80 on the OBDlink MX Bluetooth. Easily saved me half of what I would've spent.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Lots of good 'stuff' on here.:)

Peter

I have a 2013 Police Interceptor Utility. I enabled Keyless Entry with Forscan.

I looked underneath the steering column today and I don't think I have a VSS module installed. I did however have the wiring for the hood switch - hood switch is now installed.

I did try locking all the doors with my key fob and then opening the door - alarm/horn did not go off.

Anyone ever do a VSS install? easy? hard? do I need IDS for it? I have the OBDLink MX

Thanks

I have a 2013 Police Interceptor Utility. I enabled Keyless Entry with Forscan.

I looked underneath the steering column today and I don't think I have a VSS module installed. I did however have the wiring for the hood switch - hood switch is now installed.

I did try locking all the doors with my key fob and then opening the door - alarm/horn did not go off.

Anyone ever do a VSS install? easy? hard? do I need IDS for it? I have the OBDLink MX

Thanks
It is not hard. I've installed one on my Explorer and one on my girlfriends Edge. I have instructions for the install if you buy one.

Do I have to add the hood switch on my 14 Explorer XLT? I am not sure if it has it or not. Where is the best place to go to down load Forscan? My lap top has bluetooth so where can I get the OBDII hook up?

Tim

Do I have to add the hood switch on my 14 Explorer XLT? I am not sure if it has it or not. Where is the best place to go to down load Forscan? My lap top has bluetooth so where can I get the OBDII hook up?

Tim
It's on the left side of the engine compartment. I think we've narrowed down that XLT and above all come with a hood switch. Go to forscan site and download. Get an OBDLink MX Bluetooth from scantool.net

Tim
See this link for a picture of the switch; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...cts-2011-2015-only.418625/page-3#post-3393082
The picture shows it as it looks in the Lincoln I had but it is the same for the Explorer.

Peter

P9050292_001.JPG

I just wanted to confirm that everything in this thread worked for me. However, I did my setup by myself.

Using the VCX Nano tool from Amazon/Ebay, I was able to access the IDS and enable remote start myself. The tool and the software are $80. My local dealer told me they'd charge $100 to enable, so I figured this was a little bit of a deal.

I plugged the VCX Nano tool in, turned on IDS Version 100, and accessed the 2013 Explorer XLT. I went to the body - security - Remote Start option. We have the Ford My-Touch in our system. When enabling the remote start, it didn't ask about heated seats or heated steering wheel.

That was the easy part. The option was now enabled in our menu. I could edit the climate settings, defroster settings, and duration (5, 10, or 15 Minutes).

Now, the more difficult part. I purchased the cheap-replacement 4 button keys off of Amazon. My local hardware store wouldn't cut it because other people have complained that their key didn't work. I headed over to a different hardware store, and told them that the key is cheap and i wouldn't hold them responsible if it didn't work. They cut it for free!

I followed the programming instructions on this website (Enter key 1, turn to run, wait, enter key 2, turn to run, wait, enter un-programmed key 3, turn to run, wait). The key was able to program partly. It was able to start the system but i was getting the following error "Could not program integrated key." None of the remote buttons on the cheap key would work.

So, I went through the IDS software. Using the PATS functions, I erased and reprogrammed the first 2 OEM keys with no problem. However, the third "Cheap Key" gave me the same error. Again, i was able to start the car. But the whole purpose is to use the buttons (specifically the remote start button). I was getting the same "Could not program integrated key" every time i started the car. Non of the buttons on the cheap key would work.

On page 6 of this forum, I learned that there was an extra step for the cheap keys. After they are programmed to start the car, you have to also program the remote function. Turn the cheap key from off to run 8 times. On that 8th time, end on "run." After 5 seconds, the doors lock and un-lock. Hit a button on the cheap-key remote. I used the unlock button, but i don't think it matters. They keypad is now functioning. All buttons work including lock, unlock, alarm, and remote start.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for saving me $298 for two keys, and $100 to cut the keys, and enable remote start. In total, I spent $30 on the keys, and $80 on the VCX Nano (which may get sold somewhere in the future).

do you still get message on dashboard ?

I just bought a 2015 base model Explorer today and it has the remote car starter. The salesman said something about it not being a Ford installed remote starter. I also have 2 fobs for it and it seems to work well. I'll be learning more about it and the truck in general over the next few days.

I just bought a 2015 base model Explorer today and it has the remote car starter. The salesman said something about it not being a Ford installed remote starter. I also have 2 fobs for it and it seems to work well. I'll be learning more about it and the truck in general over the next few days.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The Manual is a very good place to start.;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A big Thanks to the OP and others for figuring this out. Was able to get remote start on my 2013 XLT. I have a question though, from what
I've been reading that the heat will only come on if the outside temp is 32 degrees or less and the heated seats will turn on somewhere below 30 degrees.
Just wondering if its possible in Forscan to change the temperature that they turn on. Would like them both to come on at 40 degrees or less.

Back